We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wynyard Hotel, 107 Clarence Street.

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Saint Cloud...
Level Contributor
56 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Wynyard Hotel, 107 Clarence Street.

Hello, I'm only in Sydney for 4 days, 3 nights. I booked the Wynyard Hotel through their website..I find out now (by reviews) that I must SHARE a bathroom!! If I cancel, I will pay a fee! !I'm going to tour, so I'll be out most of the time. Please give me, anyone, some tips as to how this works.

Do I gather all my toiletries, money, valuables, CLOTHING FOR OUTSIDE, then go out of my hotel room to a public bathroom ? Where will I store my things while bathing? Will there be other people in there (shower area)? When I'm finished, do I dress for outside, in there? Other hotels seem very expensive! I don't want to overspend, if I am there a short while, it won't matter? I most certainly don't want to mess up my trip!!! Help advisors please. What would you do. PS. I am slightly handicapped. Thanks for any help. I'm also leaving soon .

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wynyard Hotel, 107 Clarence Street.

The Wynyard hotel is a pub, with accommodation upstairs, and the bar area downstairs. It is in a nice area on Clarence St, a short walk down to Darling Harbour, or into the shopping areas of the city. So, it isn't a hotel as you would normally think of a hotel. Licenced pubs in Australia are called hotels in country towns, and the Wynyard continues this tradition in the cities.

So, you get your own room, with a bed, etc. But the bathroom is down the hall. It isn't public really - it is just shared between the people staying there. The showers will have the change area adjacent. But, in these sort of environments, its normally okay to be quite casual up and down the halls. I'd be okay in pyjamas down, and clothes back. Others may wear a tracksuit or whatever.

As to whether the hotel can accommodate your disability, you may need to check with them. I don't know what the issue may be - but the place is an old pub, and may not necessarily meet the more modern mandated standards for access.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5,726 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wynyard Hotel, 107 Clarence Street.

Hi Greattrips.

I've just spoken with the manager at the Wynyard Hotel. If you booked through their website, they probably have not debited your card yet.

You should also be aware that, in common with many old pubs, they do not have a lift - only stairs.

If this presents a problem for you, and you would prefer to find alternative accommodation, they will happily cancel your booking and refund any deposit you may have paid.

PM ( personal message ) me and I will give you the Licensee's email address. Otherwise call +61292991300.

I'm pretty sure you said you booked through the Wynyard Hotel website, but if you booked through a booking group, you can still cancel & get a refund.

In that case, contact whomever you booked with, explain the situation re bathroom & stairs & advise that Merivale ( the owners of the hotel ) have agreed to cancel & refund any monies paid.

Don't know what your budget is but have a look at bookings.com and wotif.com. au if you need an alternative.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8,270 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wynyard Hotel, 107 Clarence Street.

When are you staying in Sydney ? The Wynyard Hotel (only 2 stars) looks to be about $110 pn and depending on time of visit I think you should be able to do better than that ie room with bathroom. Also staying 3 nights helps with a lower rate. And by pushing your budget to say $140pn with really help get a better place.

Edited: 26 November 2013, 03:05
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wynyard Hotel, 107 Clarence Street.

Pls advise if you need wheelchair access and then the locals and regular Trip Advisor posters can give you some suggestions that can cater for your disability.

Saint Cloud...
Level Contributor
56 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Wynyard Hotel, 107 Clarence Street.

Thanks to all advisors for your help.. I kept the room at Wynyard, and decided just to be careful.. It was dirty. Looked sleezy. So I went to the showers with a knife!! When I was leaving a very young foreign lady was outside, and asking me about them. I told her not to stay there, and how I used the bathrooms! It was worst than a 'homeless shelter'! I was only specifically glad that I did not overspend during my short stay on Australia. Thanks you were all a great help!!

Edited: 18 January 2014, 03:31
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,076 posts
1,390 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wynyard Hotel, 107 Clarence Street.

Okay.. thanks for your feedback. Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience. Have you written a review on the hotel. ?? However; carrying a knife is extreme ... .. & actually an offence in Australia. The Summary Offences Act 1998 makes it an offence for a person to have custody of a knife in a public place without reasonable excuse. The Act specifies a number of reasonable excuses for having custody of a knife such as preparation or consumption of food or drink - participation in a lawful entertainment, recreation or sport etc.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,789 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wynyard Hotel, 107 Clarence Street.

Hi,

Sorry to hear that was your impression of the hotel. Whilst I acknowledge is entirely subjective, I'm struggling to believe a Merivale property in the heart of the CBD is as you described. I've seen the public areas and they are far removed from the description you've given.

As EM mentioned above, the need to carry a knife into a shared bathroom in Sydney is extreme, to a point where I've never heard such thing in my life. This isn't Phillips or North Minneapolis. And to add to my concerns of your experience, if there was such a need for a weapon to be kept on your person for your safety - why the decision to stay there?

Edited: 18 January 2014, 05:57
Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,045 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wynyard Hotel, 107 Clarence Street.

Assuming that we are not talking about a bread and butter knife, I'm staggered that you even had such a weapon to take to the bathroom with you.

I get that a bathroom may be dirty. Even filthy. But I don't think that automatically equates to a place being dangerous to a point that residents need to arm themselves to use the bathroom. More than a little paranoia and over reaction I suspect.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8,270 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wynyard Hotel, 107 Clarence Street.

maybe a Merivale property (this is why they are rich) but read the reviews..........................so beware !

tripadvisor.com.au/Hotel_Review-g255060-d620…

Edited: 18 January 2014, 10:55
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,789 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wynyard Hotel, 107 Clarence Street.

The reviews in regards to service, cleanliness, product, sure, it doesn't paint a very good picture at all. But to carry a knife into the bathroom? No place in the CBD warrant that sort of behaviour.