We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

some questions

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
21 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
some questions

Hi, I am a 21 year old who will be travelling solo to Sydney for 6 days in March.

1) Should I choose YHA Central or Bounce Hostel? I have the impression that both hostels give off very different vibes and I am stuck between choosing the two.

2) Should I stay over at Blue Mountains area overnight? Over there, I would like to cover all those usual touristy points, as well as explore Katoomba and Leura a little, so could they be done within a day? I am generally a fast walker but I'll be doing all these with only mymulti3 pass (no car).

Please kindly advise. Thank you in advance!

Sydney
Level Contributor
120 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: some questions

Hi Crystal

I'll only answer the Blue Mts bit as I'm a little biased on the hostel question!

You should definitely stay overnight in the Blue Mts. This is a very large area (think 100kms wide) and the main lookouts and attractions are quite spread out. As you are going by train (good choice - its very pretty), you will need to either only walk to the main viewpoints around the town of Katoomba. But it's much better to buy a one day, hop on hop off bus ticket (around $25) which will get you to all the best spots.

Really though to experience the mountains you need to go for a proper bushwalk away from the town - the decent ones take from 2-6 hours. I would recommend the National Pass from Wentworth Falls to the Valley of the Waters - spectacular views, waterfall crossing and great natural environment. But not too challenging and lots of people do it every day so you won't get lost.

Enjoy

Oz
Level Contributor
12,921 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: some questions

Hi,

Which hostel? Not a clue!

You could easily spend six nights in the Blue Mountains and only see and experience a few things. Certainly stay at least one or more nights!

Cheers,

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,786 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: some questions

I would choose YHA each and every time and twice on Sundays. The standards with the YHA's in Sydney is much closer to what many would expect in hotels, rather than your typical hostel. This is why both YHA's are recommended so frequently in Sydney. I cannot say the same for any other backpackers.

Also, the location of the two you've mentioned is another factor. Although they look 'similar' in location, Bounce is located on the others side of the railway line, and really in an inconvenient and unattractive location. The building faces directly over the platforms on Central Station.

It should be an easy decision.

Edited: 29 November 2013, 03:51
Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: some questions

Bounce is a party hostel. YHA isn't.

YHA has a location to die for.

Edited: 29 November 2013, 04:22
Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: some questions

Sorry Too late to edit when I noticed it was central not Sydney Harbour YHA you were asking about Location isn't that great at YHA central.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
2,241 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: some questions

The rooms at the YHA Central are larger than you would expect and the place caters well to tourists.Have not stayed at Bounce but.,as mentioned ,its in a pretty ordinary location although handy to the station but so is YHA.

7. Re: some questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 November 2014, 06:19