We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Closure of Stamford Grand at North Ryde?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Topic
Closure of Stamford Grand at North Ryde?

I drove past here last week and noticed the hotel signage eclipsed by advertising for Macquarie Park Village. Google tells me it's another high rise development.

I took a cursory look on the Stamford site but could see no closure date for the hotel. Does anyone know when this is? Are there plans to move the hotel to a nearby location or will it just mean one less hotel in the area?

I suppose with the rail line people can now stay in the city and commute in.

Interestingly, this article propertyobserver.com.au/news/…2013110266091 states "...recently retailer Gerry Harvey failed to secure redevelopment permission for converting the Domayne/Harvey Norman store site into an apartment and office development. Harvey Norman sought 229 apartments for its 1.97 hectare site in Macquarie Park plus a 12-storey office tower above the existing Domayne building."

Poor Gerry.

Sydney, Australia
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Closure of Stamford Grand at North Ryde?

I always thought it was a bit of an unusual place to have a hotel. The train line makes a lot of different.

Sounds like they were planning to demolish the hotel since last year

thempreport.com.au/2012/…

If you check out the website, at this stage they are not taking online bookings past the end of March.

http://www.stamford.com.au/SGNR

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,547 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Closure of Stamford Grand at North Ryde?

Redevelopment announcement from Stamford back in 2010

…listedcompany.com/newsroom/20101222_175739_…

The likes of Meriton, Toga, SFC will fill the gap, and they predict the number of hotels in the area to increase.

>>>I always thought it was a bit of an unusual place to have a hotel<<<

Why unusual? Purpose built for MICE business, it was one of Australia's leading corporate properties during the late 80's and throughout the 90's. When Ramada managed it, it was booming. Admittedly, it's seen better days, and Stamford has the voodoo market on hotel closures. So it's had it's day.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,547 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Closure of Stamford Grand at North Ryde?

Sorry late add -

Hello Mez! Long time. You back from abroad?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Closure of Stamford Grand at North Ryde?

2010? Well, it's old news then. :-)

Hi KVE. All well and good in my world. I got back ages ago...but leave for London next week. It's 'official' now that the countdown is in single digit days. :-)

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,547 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Closure of Stamford Grand at North Ryde?

Goodness how exciting! A white Christmas! Yes when the countdown is into the single digits, it definitely becomes more real.

Your last 'running' trip report was an absolute gem, and reading it made me feel like I was actually there. I truly hope you have a brilliant trip Mez.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Closure of Stamford Grand at North Ryde?

Oh this is sad as for about 10 years I stayed here at least twice a month. When a lot of the larger companies moved out to north ryde in the late 90's this was the only hotel in the area. It went through a complete refurbishment mid way with a new wing built out the back. The rooms overlooking the pool were nice. In later years the travelodge opened and then the marriott but for me the Stamford was a second home. Was in a bit of a strange place but I could walk down to the office in the morning and if I had a minute or two to spare would pop over to the shops in my lunch break. Time moves on

Sydney, Australia
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Closure of Stamford Grand at North Ryde?

Dear Mez3000,

Thank you for your interest in the closure of the hotel.

We are in the early process of redevelopment, but we are operating as a hotel for the foreseeable future still catering to various events such as Easter, Mother’s Day and Queens Birthday.

Bookings can be made through our website and once we have news of our closure we will distribute through various channels including our website.

We hope to see you back at the hotel where we are still running our Friday & Saturday Seafood Buffets, Easter Show Accommodation Packages and catering to various groups such as weddings!

Guy Challis

General Manager

Stamford Grand North Ryde

8. Re: Closure of Stamford Grand at North Ryde?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 21 August 2014, 12:35
Edited: 21 August 2014, 12:35
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,299 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Closure of Stamford Grand at North Ryde?

Yes I am sure that a valve is a very relevant point for th closure of a hotel..

I'd like to make a comment about your valves but then TA is a family friendly site....

10. Re: Closure of Stamford Grand at North Ryde?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2015, 06:18