We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

It had to happen ....theme parks invade Sydney

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
It had to happen ....theme parks invade Sydney

Just like the dreaded cane toad, they have spread from Queensland....one has been spotted opening near Sydney today

http://wetnwildsydney.com.au/

At $70 for an adult day ticket and $55 for a child, that makes an expensive day out for a family of 4!

I know they are pushing for the locals to buy season tickets but it will certainly stretch the holiday budget for one off visitors.

Blue Mountains Day Trip and River...
699 reviews
from US$167.82*
Sydney BridgeClimb
973 reviews
from US$128.10*
All Inclusive Blue Mountains...
125 reviews
from US$170.26*
Special Offer
Blue Mountains Wildlife Day Tour from...
1,037 reviews
from US$62.83*
US$125.67
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,412 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: It had to happen ....theme parks invade Sydney

Yes, I can't help but to think that attendance will be majority locals who don't have easy access to beach. I really can't see tourists coming to Sydney with an average length of stay at 3~5 nights making any great effort to visit.

My prediction would be that it replicates half the longevity of Australia's Wonderland - based on a guess that the demand during the winter and cooler months not be that great. And as for the price...

Edited: 12 December 2013, 11:15
sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,382 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: It had to happen ....theme parks invade Sydney

run away ... run away ... run very fast in the opposite direction

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6,093 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: It had to happen ....theme parks invade Sydney

Not my thing, but there are probably lots of people in that area who would use it & may not be able to afford the Gold Coast. It'll swim or sink & provided its NIMBY, I'm cool with it! Yes - I can be that shallow & uncaring

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,212 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: It had to happen ....theme parks invade Sydney

There's been a baby wet n wild at Jamberoo for years and based on the fact it has survived I'm sure this will too. Whether Jamberoo does now is probably more the question, after all it IS near the beach, A season pass for 2 summers was available for $99 so I suspect they have an excellent clientele and you only need to see how popular the pools with waterslides are on a hot day. Given it is roughly $20+ for family of 4 at the local pool.

TBH I don't think tourism had anything to do with the decision and nor was it really geared towards visitors.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,137 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: It had to happen ....theme parks invade Sydney

I agree GW, I think their target market is definitely Sydneysiders. WnW have a season pass for $125 which to me seems quite good value when you compare it to the price of other entertainment such as the movies or electronic games. It is open until 11pm.

There has been some criticism of food prices & the fact you can't BYO, but this is the same for other theme parks (with the exception of Jamberoo).

At the moment there are hourly shuttle buses from Parramatta station which to me seems to be a bit inadequate, but perhaps they are waiting to see what the demand for this service is?

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: It had to happen ....theme parks invade Sydney

Australia's Wonderland had the picnic areas just outside the front gates. Seemed like a fair compromise for people who didn't want to spend the price of admission on junk food, without having the tables in the park overrun with picnicers.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
Level Contributor
1,058 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: It had to happen ....theme parks invade Sydney

$70.00 to go play in water and have a few rides on a water slide?..bugger that.Jamberoo is good although a bit of a hike.Should have kept Wonderland as that also had a water themed area anyway.

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
5,443 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: It had to happen ....theme parks invade Sydney

Sorry, but it won't be high on my list of advising people what to see in Sydney.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,491 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: It had to happen ....theme parks invade Sydney

Some people love theme parks - hence there's a lot of them on the GC - they are very popular.

Yes $70 is a lot to pay all day and no doubt some families budget more than that per person for a day at the Easter Show. So is it too expensive ??? I don't think so ... some tourists pay $90+ for a day trip to the Blue Mountains and are happy to do so while others take the DYI option - horses for courses I say !

I think the waterpark will appeal to a lot of people in Western Sydney and SOME tourists and it will probably do well ... initially.

We have often paid similar money to take the G'kids to Jamberoo which is a good day out and lots of fun for little kids and big kids .... I don't think Jamberoo will be impacted too much by the new waterpark - there are plenty of people closer to Jamberoo not to mention tourists staying in the area who can sometimes get a discount from some accommodation operators.

Edited: 13 December 2013, 02:32
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
107 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: It had to happen ....theme parks invade Sydney

Good Luck with Wet’n’Wild Sydney… I’m sure there’ll be some families from the western suburbs who’ll benefit, appreciate and enjoy this water theme park through Sydney summer months… Perhaps it’ll alleviate some of the crowd population at the beaches?

It looks massive in comparison to our Wet’n’Wild Gold Coast. Yet it’s no surprise to be slugged a hefty admission price, as the maintenance would be astronomical for a 5 month season of operation!? Have they got plans for the park in the 7 months when the season is dormant?

I’d be inclined to bring out the backyard hose and sprinkler…

As a cost comparison to date;

http://wetnwild.com.au/

Wet’n’Wild GOLD COAST General Admit ONE DAY (Online)

Adult = $59.99 plus booking fees plus card fees

Child/Pensioner = $34.99 plus fees

Onsite Lockers = $9.00 approx.

Operating Hours:

1st September - 30th April: 10am - 5pm.

1st May - 31th August: 10am - 3.30pm.

Cheers Angie