We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

yacht race viewing

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Albury, Australia
3 posts
Save Topic
yacht race viewing

its on my bucket list to watch the start of the sydney to hobart yacht race on 26/12/2014. Rather than stand in the crowds, I'd like to book accommodation with a harbour view so we can sit on the verandah, say, in a comfy chair, sipping a coldie, watching the spinnakers catching the wind. We live in albury so dont know sydney well and we're not millionaires. Can someone tell me of a bed and breakfast place, or a unit to rent for a few days, that wont be astronomically expensive but would give us a good view?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7,970 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: yacht race viewing

The start is in the harbour and then out to the heads and then south past Bondi to Hobart. So best views in my order would be:

- ferry on the harbour that can follow the boats out to the heads (look at the cyca organised cruise)

- Christison Park Vaucluse or Rodney Reserve (watch the boats heading south outisde the harbour) or similar (parking will be difficult and will require planning)

I think this is very short notice to find a flat with a view of the yachts and I think it is preferable to be located at a lookout/park.

Finally, your date is 2014 - or is it this year ?

Edited: 15 December 2013, 02:03
Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,924 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: yacht race viewing

The starting line is towards the heads and away from the city. I'm not sure of any hotel that will give you a good view of that part of the harbor. We always head up to middle head from where you can watch pre-start jockeying for position, the start and then watch the fleet as they make their way through the Heads. The crowds aren't too bad. Nothing compared to NYE. Last year we arrived 10 minutes before the starting gun and found a spot with a good view to sit on the grass and watch.

I know some of the sailing clubs have boats that follow the start and follow the fleet a short way. May be worth contacting them.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
282 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: yacht race viewing

This page gives some good info about the race

rolexsydneyhobart.com/about-the-race/…

In one of the photos on the first page you can see the boats lined up at the start. You can see where the city is in relation to the start - not close.

You would need accommodation around Neilson Park but I don't know of any unless you find a private house and rent that but would be very pricey.

Bet bet is to find a quietish vantage point or take a cruise. Most cruise companies do something on the day and you can still sip a coldie, have a seafood lunch (at least on the ones I've been on) and enjoy the day.

Oz
Level Contributor
11,892 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: yacht race viewing

Hi,

With the most likely breeze to be from the NE at that time of the Year in most races the fleet isn't able to set spinnakers until they clear the heads and turn souttowards Tassy.

The best view of the start is on television. There are so many spectator craft on the harbour most sane boaties, unless they are in the fleet, avoid it like the plague.

dytoko has IMHO provided great advice

>>Christison Park Vaucluse or Rodney Reserve (watch the boats heading south outisde the harbour) or similar (parking will be difficult and will require planning)<<

I would book a hotel room at Bondi, watch the start, and the mayhem on TV then head north to the cliffs at Dover Heights as suggested. Even at Bondi assuming you have beach views from your room you will have a great view of the fleet heading south and if conditions allow them to fly their kites so much the better.

Cheers,

Albury, Australia
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: yacht race viewing

I'm looking at xmas next year,assuming that I'd have to book accommodation months in advance

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,535 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: yacht race viewing

Hmm Sydney is difficult because so much of the harbour is either National Park or private residential.

The only places that I can think of that are basically on the race route are:

-Q Station

-Watson's Bay Boutique Hotel

You might have some luck looking at Stayz.com.au for waterfront properties in:

-Point Piper

-Double Bay

-Darling Point

-Rose Bay

-Vaucluse

-Watson's Bay

-Mosman

-Dover Heights

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,038 posts
1,381 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: yacht race viewing

Hi,

Definitely get out on the water if you can..its a magical day and you will feel right in the whole atmosphere.

Another fabulous vantage point is at Dobroyd Head , in the suburb of Balgowlah Heights / Clontarf. excellent views of the yachts going through the Heads. (limited crowds too).

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
2,241 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: yacht race viewing

Ravesis Hotel overlooks Bondi Beach and out to sea. I don't think it is exhorbtantly priced. Another suggestion would be to settle in at the Double Bay Sailing Club ( 18 footers )right at the wharf. You would just need to show your licence or othet proof of living outside the area to gain admittance. Good luck!

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
15,798 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: yacht race viewing

Gees, I just had a look at the Watson's Bay Boutique Hotel. Rates seem quite reasonable for both 25 and 26/12/14 for the location and time of year IMO. A good pair of bino's to watch them up the harbour, then a quick walk up to the top of Military Road to the Gap to see them head down the coast.

Albury, Australia
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: yacht race viewing

thanks to everyone who posted me a response. you've given me a few ideas to think about