We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tiger airways baggage

Perth, Australia
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Tiger airways baggage

Hi, was planning to book a flight to Sydney on tiger. just wanted to see if anyone else has experience with this.. is it really $80 to take a surfboard on? just seems a bit excessive...

thanks!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6,388 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tiger airways baggage

It's a low cost carrier. Everything in addition to the ticket will be expensive.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,762 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tiger airways baggage

According to their advertised charges, if your flight is over 1hr 45min duration - yes, it's correct.

https://www.tigerair.com/au/en/fees2.php

Sydney
Level Contributor
86 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tiger airways baggage

You pay nothing, you get nothing. Especially if something goês wrong - choose another carrier

Mumbai
Level Contributor
1 post
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tiger airways baggage

Had such a ridiculous experience with Tiger baggage recently ... pre purchased 40 kgs (2*20kg) of baggage and on the day of the flight one bag weighed 22 kgs and the other 17 kgs and the Tiger attendant actually made me go back out and repack the bags such that both bags are 20 kgs or below else 20 aud extra baggage charges !!! Worse still he made me go back and re -queue. Sucky airline ... only fly with them if your really short on cash but still expect the worst of everything.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,762 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tiger airways baggage

You've just answered your own rhetoric.

You purchased 2 x 20kgs, not a total allowance of 40kgs. Otherwise it's like arguing that you had 1 x 40kg suitcase and that should be permitted. And if the total weight was how they operate, they would give you a choice of different weights with various incremental charges. If you kept the luggage as they were, they technically could have charged you for the 2kgs you were over in the one bag.

Yep, may seem pedantic but it's their airline, their rules.

Perth
Level Contributor
458 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tiger airways baggage

Yes - it seems silly even though they end up on the same plane. I had to repack mine as it was 700g over. I could put it in my hand luggage though. Would I still fly Tiger - yes if the price is right.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,762 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tiger airways baggage

Yes quite correct, it's hit and miss.

Some airlines enforce it rigorously, some don't, some desk clerks do, some don't.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tiger airways baggage

Thanks all, ended up booking with Virgin! They have pretty decent prices at the moment!

australia
Destination Expert
for New South Wales, Noosa
Level Contributor
3,272 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tiger airways baggage

How much did Virgin charge for your surfboard ?

How much extra the fare ?

That info might assist others.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tiger airways baggage

virgin charged $35 each way for the oversized baggage. works out better, paying a little bit more and getting better service, meals and entertainment and the extra baggage both ways for cheaper than baggage one way with tiger!