We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport Fares

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
Level Contributor
1,058 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Transport Fares

As most here may be aware and to those tourists,public transport fares will be increasing from the 5th Jan 2014.Average cost hike is about 10c per trip.If you buy or thinking of getting tickets such as MyBus1,2 or 3(the old travel ten tickets)and ferry tickets similar,id suggest buying them now and stock up before the price rise.These tickets are open and valid for 10 trips so it can take you 1 day or a year to use,but you save money as you basically pay for 8 1/2 rides.Also if you buy them now,they cannot pass on the price rise.Although train tickets aren't based like that,but maybe buy them the day before if you buy a weekly ticket and MyMulti tickets.

Austins Ferry
Level Contributor
146 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transport Fares

I was just checking out ticket info/prices for the mymulti1. Does it no longer cover ferries?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
Level Contributor
1,058 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transport Fares

It seems like it,you will now need to buy a MyMulti2.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,543 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transport Fares

Great heads up BRG, nice one.

This maybe a silly question, but there's no date expiry for the older priced MyBus tickets? Just wanting to make sure they aren't like different 'series' or different 'issue' tickets.

I'll get the OH to stock up, as we both use it regularly.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
Level Contributor
1,058 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transport Fares

True the MyBus tickets have no expiry date,they valid for 10 trips,i still have some that are 5 yrs old,and still work.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,543 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transport Fares

Brilliant, thanks again for that. Appreciate it BRG.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,792 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transport Fares

One correction on the tickets, the current series of bus tickets (MyBus / MyZone) doesn't have an expiration date, but there was a previous series ("TravelTen Blue", "TravelTen Red") etc, which are now no longer useable. If "bigrockinguy " actually has tickets from 5 years ago, these no longer work as the previous series of tickets all expired in June 2010.

There are rumours that the current MyBus, MyMulti, etc, will be phased out when the Opal contactless smart cards come into full operation, at the end of 2014 or later. So while I'd expect current tickets to be valid for another year or two, it certainly won't be indefinitely.

Edited: 01 January 2014, 02:11
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
Level Contributor
4,309 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transport Fares

thanks for the heads up.

will get some tickets tomorrow.

ps...like your new avatar....

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
Level Contributor
1,058 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transport Fares

Actually Jeremy,as I said I still have a number of old Travel10 tickets,with up to 4 trips still on them,and although the printing on them doesn't come out,they are still valid as I use them if need be,when running a trip and have no pax.

The MyBus tickets just replaced the old Travel10 tickets,more of a façade change then anything else,they are still the same thing.

Also I don't think the Opal card will be totally phased in by the end of this year(2014),as although it has been rolled out through the CBD and some north side stations and some bus routes,there is some 1500 more govt buses to retrofit,and they can only do 3 per day.But hey here is hoping that this system works.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,774 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Transport Fares

If you happen to be an Australian Pension

card holder they have a $2.50 Pensioners

ticket which covers bus, train, ferry & just

recent inclusion light rail

I have been going to Sydney since I became

eligible for Aus Pension card (7 yrs) & price

has not change