We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chinatown vs Hurstville

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
1 post
Save Topic
Chinatown vs Hurstville

My girlfriend and I are coming to Sydney for a week in just over a month, my girlfriend has never been to Sydney, and the last time I visited was over 10 years ago. We want to visit a Chinatown type area and have a meal, we do that in most cities we visit. We were originally going to go to Chinatown near the city centre, but my friend who has recently moved there says that Hurstville is a better place to go for the Chinatown 'experience'. Which would you recommend? We might end up visiting both, as we're staying reasonably close to the Chinatown in the city.

Thanks in advance.

Wauchope, Australia
Level Contributor
572 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chinatown vs Hurstville

Well I guess it really depends, Hurstville is very much a suburban shopping area dominated by recent Chinese immigrants so there are some great Chinese groceries and reasonably authentic restaurants. Chinatown is much bigger though with more choice. Personally when in Chinatown I avoid the more touristy restaurants in Dixon St and head for the street food in Eating World where there is a big choice of different Asian food, and pretty good value for Sydney.

Hurstville is a decent train trip out of the centre, I guess if you want to see REAL Sydney and not tourist centred Sydney it might be an interesting trip. But..... I don't know the restaurants there well enough to give you a recommendation.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
25,936 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chinatown vs Hurstville

IMO, Hurstville is a more "genuine", less touristy, experience but lacks the glamour and glitz of the decorated streetscape of Dixon Street.

But I'd stay in the city and catch a train (Illawarra line) to Hurstville just for a visit.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,447 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chinatown vs Hurstville

Eastwood & Epping have large Chinese populations and some good eateries

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chinatown vs Hurstville

I live in Hurstville and find the restaurant experience here far less tourist driven than those in the central CBD Chinatown. Most, if not every, trains stop at Hurstville station, and you can be here from Central in 30 minutes, 40 minutes for an all stations.

For the $6.20 return train ticket, take a trip and walk Forest Rd from end to end and check out the shops, and all manner of eateries. Go down the escalator onto Forest Rd turn left and go up to the Ritz pub, cross the road and walk back all the way down to the Avenue then walk back towards the station.

By then you'll know what you want to eat and where, enjoy then head back to the City. You'll be glad you did.

One major drawback with Hurstville is there is no accommodation here, and the place can't be considered a decent business or tourist hub until that occurs. Given it took decades to renovate the run down Supa Centre into the Hurstville Central shopping precinct above the station …wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurstville_railway_stati… I'm not holding my breath.

However I reiterate, Hurstville is well and truly worth a visit for a day trip,

Cheerz Wabster.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,832 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chinatown vs Hurstville

Just be careful. Some of the restaurants in areas like Hurstville and Auburn are indeed very authentic. So authentic that their menus may not appeal to the average non Chinese palate. Don't expect to find Lemon Chicken or Sweet and Sour Pork on the menu.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
Level Contributor
1,043 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chinatown vs Hurstville

There is also Cabramatta,which is about an hour out of the city.Very authentic Asian area,Chinese,Vietnamese,Korean etc.with the smells,language(hard to find westerners there at times)Again similar to Auburn and Hurstville.

Found a quaint restaurant in Chinatown before Xmas called LeMesa which is on Goulburn St.Really nice authentic Filipino food,its up a level so a flight of stairs are had to get to it.

7. Re: Chinatown vs Hurstville

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2015, 06:18