We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hop on Hop Off buses

London
Level Contributor
29 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Hop on Hop Off buses

Hi all

Is there any difference in the companies which offer the hop on hop off routes around Sydney and Bondi. I mean in relation to itineraries, timings, cost, etc., or can I pretty much book any of them. Do I need to book in advance, or can we just turn up and buy tickets on the day, and if so, where?

Thanks

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,139 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hop on Hop Off buses

There is only the one company that offers this tour now, the bright red open deck bus. There is also the hoho ferry. AFAIK you can buy tickets as you board as well as in advance online.

viator.com/Sydney-tours/…d357-g12-c97

tripadvisor.com.au/Attraction_Review-g255060…

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6,195 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hop on Hop Off buses

I went on one last week just to see what it was like. The day fare covers two routes - one a CBD / kings cross , Darling Harbour loop and the other going out to Watsons Bay, via William street, Rose Bay. The. Bondi & back to town via Oxford street, through Paddington etc.

I only did the CBD link and there were several opportunities to change to the Bondi route. As a local I thought the commentary could be improved, but it wasn't too bad - and probably quite interesting to a visitor.

I paid a senior's rate of $30 / 24 hours & no one asked to see my Senior's card, so I imagine the reduced rate is available to all.

BTW - There is also a hop-on/hop-off catamaran in the Harbour. Run by Captain Cook cruises, I think.

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hop on Hop Off buses

Sometimes I look at them stuck on traffic on George St, and think that the poor person who instead of walking over the Pyrmont Bridge and around Darling Harbour, spend 45 minutes on a bus through the back streets of Pyrmont.

To the OP, if you don't have mobility issues, think about what you want to visit. if you get a MyMulti3, you can get the ferry and bus out to Bondi Beach, you can walk around the Botanic Gardens and across the domain to Woolloomooloo, and you can walk to Darling Harbour easily from Town Hall, or get the ferry there from Circular Quay. So much better than being on a bus.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,516 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hop on Hop Off buses

When we're O/S, we often take a HOHO bus to get our bearings and also a bit of commentary.

I think the HOHO buses are a good intro to a city and help you work out what you would like to go back to when the route has finished.

Then when you go back, walk it and see the sites from a different perspective, take a few short cuts and make some new discoveries.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,792 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hop on Hop Off buses

While I agree that overall the HOHO buses are good for getting an introduction to the city, I don't really recommend it as I'm not sure that $40 for the Sydney Explorer / City Sightseeing bus in Sydney is value for money. It's just so much for only a single 24h period - if $40 were a weekly or even three-day fare then I'd say go for it. I tell my friends and family to get the MyMulti 3 and help them learn how to use the buses to my suburb, the George St buses which are the most convenient for going north/south in the city, and of course ferries and trains too. But maybe for a very short visit the HOHO bus would be useful.

Incidentally, I live near one of the routes and everyone always looks fantastically bored. Maybe it's because I'm on a sort of back street, that the bus uses to get between landmarks, and there's not much for them to look at! There is never any commentary when they pass my street... :)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,360 posts
1,526 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hop on Hop Off buses

I'm a big fan of the HOHO bus. I take the HOHO bus around every overseas city I visit so I can get orientated quickly. I find the HOHO bus fabulous for this reason alone. I've also taken the HOHO bus around Sydney & found it to be pretty good & IMO is comparable to the overseas ones I've tried. I find it's really helpful to pick out the interesting suburbs & areas you want to explore properly later.

The HOHO ferry is also excellent & gives you a wonderful perspective of Sydney.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,516 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hop on Hop Off buses

"Maybe it's because I'm on a sort of back street, that the bus uses to get between landmarks, and there's not much for them to look at! There is never any commentary when they pass my street... :)"

IME, usually commentary is accessed via ear bud headphones plugged into a small device near the seats which would account as to why you haven't heard any commentary ... and a bored look may be concentration re the commentary.

As for value for money - it's all relative and depends on what it's worth to the individual. A HOHO can cover a lot of ground in an hour or two and there in lies one of the benefits....especially for someone with limited time.

Edited: 21 January 2014, 06:47
8. Re: Hop on Hop Off buses

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 January 2015, 05:18