We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need opinion on 1.5 day Itinerary- thanks!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
173 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Need opinion on 1.5 day Itinerary- thanks!

Would love your opinion on this itinerary...

Going to Sydney for business. Have only 1.5 days free for exploring so would love your thoughts on this itinerary.

Staying in Circular Quay area

Arriving Saturday afternoon around 1pm

- planning to check into hotel, explore The Rocks Market, grab a bite to eat

- or should I try to go to Bondi beach instead...??

Sunday

- take ferry from Circular Quay to Manly

- rent bike from Manly Bike Tours. Planning to explore Sydney Harbour National Park/North Head Santcuary by bike/hike including Collins Beach/waterfall, Little Manly Point, St Patrick’s Estate, North Fort Artillery Museum and Sydney Harbour National Park. Possibly also walking to Shelly Beach. Grab lunch at some point at Manly Wharf Hotel or 4-Pines Brewery. Hemingways also had great reviews....

^^^ or would you suggest I go to Bondi and do the Bondi- to-Maroubra walk on Sunday instead?

Also, any ideas for a back up plan if it rains/bad weather?

Thank you for your opinion!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,165 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need opinion on 1.5 day Itinerary- thanks!

Yes your plans are very weather dependent, although that could work in your favour if the forecast is not good or looks a bit "iffy" in the morning as it will keep the locals away. We have a "family funday" fare on public transport on sundays so in nice weather that brings the crowds out & Manly is probably the #1 spot to visit!

for your 1st day I'd suggest a walk part way (or the whole way) over the Harbour Bridge & also a walk around the Opera House & then on to Mrs Macquarie's Chair.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need opinion on 1.5 day Itinerary- thanks!

Both areas (Manly & Bondi Beach) are great to explore & offer lovely walks - assuming it's not raining.

Maybe leave The Rocks as your "banker" for rainy day.

Harbour bridge walk is good idea (road level), unless you game to do The Bridge Climb.

Botanical gardens to Mrs Macquarie's chair is pleasant & will get the jet lag out of you.

Great photo's from Mrs Mac's chair of both Opera House & Bridge.

Bondi to Bronte is a stunning walk. Again great photos along the walk.

Both Manly & Bondi get very busy on a nice day.

Can also consider take a harbour cruise for a few hours.

Maybe a dinner cruise on Sat night, again dependant on weather. They leave from either Circular Quay or Darling Harbour.

Museums and shopping malls are possible places to go to on rainy days:

QVB in the City or Darling Harbour.

Sydney Tower in the city gives you a great appreciation of the city and all the water ways that surround it.

Lots of options at Manly - cycling or walking (beachside or harbour side).

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,705 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need opinion on 1.5 day Itinerary- thanks!

I'm with Mia and with such a short stay if the weather plays the game the it is a must do to be out on the harbour

The idea of grabbing a bike and riding around is excellent, just remember you are on the opposite side of the road (riding on the footpath is illegal) so if you need to swerve think!

I wouldn't put the bondi walk in as it is too much to add on and much more of a promenade style walk on a Sunday unless you plan to stop for a swim etc.

As wet weather plan you could perhaps head up into the Quieen Victoria building then catch a bus out to Newtown which is a slightly alternative area with cafés and restaurants. You get lots of covered walking under the shop awnings

Not sure if you are an avid rider but if you are really into (bunch rides) it you could hire a road bike in Clarence st (sorry can't remember the name , they are on the left if you face to the harbour) and do the beaches ride before work. It think it leaves at 6 am from coluzzi, the bike hire place knows

I do not recommend a Barbour cruise as the food is usually terrible and often your "host" company will plan this anyway.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
173 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need opinion on 1.5 day Itinerary- thanks!

Thank y'all so much! I have actually traveled to Sydney last year, also briefly with work, and took a harbour boat so not planning to do that again.

Mia- thank you for the tip about the family fare. I'll make sure to go early to help avoid some of the crowds.

Danadau- I've never done the Harbour bridge walk before so that is a great tip. I'll keep the museums idea in my pocket for rainy days.

GurusW- Thank you for validating the bike ride. I am an avid cyclists so maybe I'll check out the group ride from Coluzzi too.

Thanks again everyone!

5. Re: Need opinion on 1.5 day Itinerary- thanks!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 February 2015, 05:20