We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Multi Pass cheapest way to get around Sydney?

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Rotorua, New Zealand
Level Contributor
270 posts
697 reviews
Save Topic
Multi Pass cheapest way to get around Sydney?

We are looking a purchasing Multi Passes while in Sydney next month. Is this the cheapest way to get around on the trains etc?

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,539 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Multi Pass cheapest way to get around Sydney?

The best pass depends on:

A. How long you are staying and

B. Where you want to go during that time.

If you don't want to do a lot of trips, single tickets may be cheaper.

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Multi Pass cheapest way to get around Sydney?

The only way to figure out if a MyMulti Pass will be cheaper for you, is to know which trips you are going to take, and see if the pass is cheaper than buying tickets as you go.

However, as a general guide, if you are using a mix of public transport every day at least 5 days in 7, and you are using ferries at least 2 of those days, you'll almost certainly be better off with Multi-Pass.

If you are only using trains and buses once or twice a day, or having days you aren't using public transport at all, you'll probably be cheaper to get single tickets.

Take into account that the Sydney CBD is very walkable. It would be unusual to use public transport to see the Opera House, shopping districts and Darling Harbour. But usual to see the zoo, Manly, Bondi, Blue Mountains, etc.

Edited: 09 February 2014, 06:43
Rotorua, New Zealand
Level Contributor
270 posts
697 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Multi Pass cheapest way to get around Sydney?

Hi, thanks for info. We are planning to go to Palm Beach, Blue Mountains and a general look around the central area. So will definitely have to look further into it. Thanks again.

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Multi Pass cheapest way to get around Sydney?

A weekly MyMulti-3 Pass will cost $63.

A trip to the mountains will be $17.20 before 8:30am on weekdays, and $11.80 after 8:30 on weekdays and weekends. Bus from the station to Echo Point or Scenic World will be $2.30 each way.

The bus to Palm Beach will cost $4.60 each way (remember you'll have to buy your ticket before joining the bus, if you catch it in the city on weekdays).

So, you're still some way to get value out of a MyMulti ticket.

Edited: 10 February 2014, 02:58
Australia
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
8,456 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Multi Pass cheapest way to get around Sydney?

I think you Sydney people are not looking at this from a tourist point of view.

1. You know where to buy tour single tickets.

2. You have seen it all before so don't feel the need to explore

From a tourist point of view, if you have a my multi even if it has worked out slightly more expensive.

- Having a ticket in your had that covers everything is much easier than having to work out where to buy the next ticket

- Having a ticket in your hand mean not having to queue for tickets every trip

- Having a ticket in your hand means you can just pop on and off anything, so long is it is government run, without having to think about is it going in the right direction and where will I buy the next ticket when I get off because I got on the wrong bus or train.

On top of that, as you wander around, you will see things and think, I want to go there! Such as getting on the Manly ferry, heading away from the harbour bridge and noticing ferries going under the harbour bridge and then thinking, well now that I have seen a ferry going under the harbour bridge, I want to do that too. Even though you started the day with no plan to do that. But you can easily do that because you have the ticket in your hand.

When I arrive in Sydney, I don't stuff around, the first thing I do is buy a my multi ticket

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,715 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Multi Pass cheapest way to get around Sydney?

the queue is rarely more than 2 or 3 long..so 5 mins

ticketboothhs are at the entrance to the stayion for trains and cq for ferries

best value for buses is a my bus travel 10, dip 2 for long journeys

the green buses are free

most tourists start the day with a plan which is why they come to TA

BTWi do explore as we often host OS guests and on those days we buy a daypass.... 3 day passes $69 so only $6 more and 99% of the time you wont need one

7. Re: Multi Pass cheapest way to get around Sydney?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2015, 05:21