We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taronga zoo/ferry first day

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
13,822 posts
310 reviews
Save Topic
Taronga zoo/ferry first day

We arrive from the USA early on a Wednesday in March. I am hoping I will sleep on the plane but that is not guaranteed, so I may have lowish energy my first day. From experience, I know I do best not sleeping during the day upon arrival.

Spouse will be busy with colleagues that day, so I am thinking of taking the ferry over to the Taronga zoo. Is there any reason I need to buy tickets in advance online, or can I just walk up when I am ready? I think I can get a combo ticket at the ferry?

Also, the next night I am on my own for dinner. I am looking for a casual place (jeans OK?) with really good modern Australian food, preferably with a view, in The Rocks or near Circular Quay. I am staying CBD and plan to walk to dinner and back.

Wauchope, Australia
Level Contributor
583 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taronga zoo/ferry first day

There is no need to advance purchase, just stroll down to Circular Key, the Zoo ferry is well signed, and buy a zoopass. You'll need to check if it includes the cable car or not, but considering how tired you'll be I reccommend catching the cable car to the top and gently strolling back to the ferry over a few hours. I think you've picked a fantastic activity for your first day. You can see the harbour and get the lovely views of the city from the zoo.

Sorry I can't help with the restaurant.

Wauchope, Australia
Level Contributor
583 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taronga zoo/ferry first day

I can't believe I wrote Key not Quay! I must have been distracted mid post!! Apologies......

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taronga zoo/ferry first day

If it's a nice night why not take a stroll around to the Opera Bar and sit outside for a casual meal and a drink. It's a fabulous spot overlooking Circular Quay and super casual with lots of people eating and drinking in groups, couples and solo. It's frantically busy on Friday, Sat and Sun nights but you should be fine on the other nights of the week.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,096 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taronga zoo/ferry first day

Zoo entry includes the sky safari so its a good idea to pay for the zoo itself with your ferry ticket that way you can take the cablecar up the hill and explore your way back down to the ferry.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
13,822 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taronga zoo/ferry first day

Thanks!

6. Re: Taronga zoo/ferry first day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 February 2015, 06:18