We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

aquariums

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kladno, Czech...
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
aquariums

HI, should you choose one thing between Sydney Aquaruim and the Manly Sea Life, Taronga ZOO or the Sydney ZOO, which one will it be for 72 years lady from Europe.

Thanks a lot

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,777 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: aquariums

I would choose the Taronga Zoo. While it doesn't have an aquarium section, you get the following:

* good selection of Australian native animals and popular global "favourites"

* great location with ferry ride and beautiful outlook over the city.

* interactive shows, feedings, events, etc.

* By far the largest of the choices with most exhibits (though still compact compared to many world-class zoos)

The one drawback is that depending on how well you get around, there is a bit of walking and hills. There is a "Sky Safari" cable car that you can take up to the top, this helps a bit with that.

The Wild Life Sydney Zoo is in an extremely small space in Darling Harbour, in the same complex as the Aquarium. While you can get tickets that include both "attractions" the value for money isn't high in my opinion. The animals are in very small cages with little sunlight - the whole setup is not really that humane in my opinion.

The Sea Life Sydney Aquarium in the same location in Darling Harbour is pretty good and would be recommended as the better Aquarium if you really want to view sea life, but it is small compared to aquariums in other major world cities. They have a dugong exhibit which is unique as there are very few in captivity. The large plexiglass tunnel that you walk through at the end is pretty neat, and the location is convenient. However it is quite expensive compared to the total size of the exhibit.

I haven't been to the Manly Sea Life Sanctuary but I understand it is quite a bit smaller and is primarily a shark enclosure with a few side exhibits. It does have a section that's connected directly to the harbour which is a bit unique. Taking the ferry to Manly is always a good outing though so you might enjoy the visit overall if you want to get out of the city.

Hope this helps. They are all good attractions that have been in business for quite some time so I don't think you'll go wrong regardless.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,074 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: aquariums

It depends on how fit the 72 year old is ... Taronga zoo is huge but if you start at the main gate it's all downhill. The aquarium while not enormous is a lot of walking up and down ramps, quite a lot of ramps, if you decide on the aquarium you may as well see Wildlife as you can get a discounted ticket. http://www.sydneyaquarium.com.au/

Personally if she likes zoos Taronga is the better value.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
201 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: aquariums

Taronga Zoo is definitely larger and has more wildlife but is harder to navigate around. There are lots of hills and steps. But the views of the harbour are another additional attraction and the sky cable car will get you from one end of the zoo to the other.

Sydney Aquarium is more impressive than Manly Sea Life Sanctuary in my opinion. However, you could couple a visit to the Manly Sea Life Sanctuary with a day trip to Manly itself which is gorgeous.

If I had to choose one, I would probably go for Taronga Zoo over the Sydney Aquarium.

4. Re: aquariums

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2015, 06:18