We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary help (1 week for solo traveler)

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
32 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary help (1 week for solo traveler)

Hello everyone

I'll be traveling as a solo traveler to Sydney next week. Had booked hump backpackers at kings cross (is it safe for a solo female traveller to stay at kings cross?)

Due to limited time for planning and being a first-timer of solo traveling, I really need help and comments on my itinerary and estimated costs for all the places/activities of interest. I'm in my early 20s and I prefer seeing nature wonders than city view

Arrival: 24/2/2014 (11am)

Departure: 2/3/2014 (12pm)

Day 1: Sydney harbour walk (harbour bridge, the rock, botanical garden, museum)

*which museums are the best to go? I would probably just going to visit 2

Day 2: Sydney opera house tour, st Mary cathedral, Hyde park, queen Victoria building, Sydney tower

Day 3: blue mountain + katoomba

* do I need a local tour to visit the tourist destination in blue mountain and katoomba?

Day 4: darling harbour+ manly beach + tarongoo zoo

Day 5: Bondi beach + coogee

Day 6: Mosman Bay + Cremorne Point

Day 7: haymarket + Chinatown + the lion king show + shopping

(Any fashion outlet recommended??)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7,608 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary help (1 week for solo traveler)

Day 1 museums - modern art at MCA at Circular Quay, NSW Art Gallery at the Domain, Museum of Sydney in Bridge St

Day 3 - you can do a day tour of the BM with pick up in Sydney (your hostel will have details) or catch a train to BM and then use hop on/off bus

Day 4 - maybe do the Zoo on day 6 as close to Mosman Bay. This allows plenty of time for Manly (swim walk, surf, lunch). Note ferries to Manly only go from Circular Quay.

Day 5 - presumably this includes the Bondi to Coogee coast walk (which should be done)

Edited: 16 February 2014, 21:58
Level Contributor
32 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary help (1 week for solo traveler)

Hello and thank you so much for your suggestion =)

I had made some amendments to my itinerary, is it more doable?

Day 1 (Mon)

Afternoon to Evening: Darling harbour + Manly beach + Watson Bay

Day 2 (Tues)

Morning-afternoon: City Hall, Botanical garden, hyde park, Queen Victoria Building, St. Mary Catheral, NSW Art galley, National museum

Night: The Rock, Circular Quay

Day 3 (Wed)

Morning- afternoon: Mosman Bay, Cremorne, Tarango zoo

Day 4 (Thurs)

Morning- afternoon: Sydney Opera House tour, Pylon lookout, Glebe, Lilyfield,

Night: Chinatown, Lion King show (8pm) at Capitol Theatre

Day 5(Friday)

Morning-Evening: Katombaa, Scenic World Blue Mountain

Day 6 (Saturday)

Morning- Afternoon: Bondi beach, Coogee

Evening- night: shopping

australia
Destination Expert
for New South Wales, Noosa
Level Contributor
3,253 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary help (1 week for solo traveler)

Couple of thoughts, Darling Harbour, Manly and Watson Bay in one afternoon/evening wont work. Concentrate on Manly, ferry back to city about sunset gives great city/bridge photo opportunity.

What attraction or reason visit to Lilyfield? Its a light rail stop due to inner west residents alighting here.

Sat March 1 in gay Mardi Gras parade from Hyde Park up Oxford St. Major event. Worth viewing. Starts about 7.30, but crowds arrive hours prior to claim prime view spot. Set up in late afternoon and event itself cause traffic and pedestrian movement interruptions in area. And heavily crowded public transport prior and after.

Level Contributor
32 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary help (1 week for solo traveler)

@dev1236, thank you for your suggestion! Alright, I shall just focus on manly beach then. As for 1/3/14, would I have enough time to visit to bondi and coogee in the morning and travel back to Mardi gras parade after lunch time? Which location/building is the best spot to view the parade? As you said it will cause public transport havoc pre- and post-parade,any other alternative transport choice? Thanks a lot for your time =)

australia
Destination Expert
for New South Wales, Noosa
Level Contributor
3,253 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary help (1 week for solo traveler)

parade route is Oxford st starting from cbd end (just near Hyde Park), turning into Flinders St, and continuing on to Moore Park . preferred location....nearer the beginning than the end, as with a mix of walking and motorised participants the latter stages can have gaps. however not at the very beginning, this being the city end (and thus the arrival point for most) which gets very crowded. If you are not particularly tall you will need arrive early for a front row spot....barricades are in place from mid-late afternoon. No street crossing rules also come into place well prior to commencment of parade, and as you are staying in Kings Cross I would suggest you stay that side of Oxford St, maybe just a little way down the street from the Oxford Hotel....or if you arrive later and it is too crowded there, just a little way along Flinders. The actual corner of the two is usually off limits due to media and VIP use. After the parade it is very crowded with the crowds trying to disperse - know your 'escape' route in advance.

if you are traveling later in afternoon back from beaches the bus routes may be altered due to street closures....but it shouldnt pose a problem....Kings Cross is walkable from the Taylor Square area, (cnr of Oxford and Flinders).

parade start time is usually about 7-7.30...asl locally on the day. crowds start gathering late afternoon....busy by 6pm. Parade end s about 10pm (depending near start or end of route). many people will walk to Kings Cross station after so expect a crowd if you are walking back to accommodation....taxis will be impossible.

Be wary - a lot of alcohol is consumed on the street - broken bottles etc. Occasional unrluy persons. But big police presence. As I said earlier just know where you are headed immediately post parade (not aimlessly wandering). It should be fun.

another tip....in event of threat of rain on the day, look for a viewing spot with close by shop awnings over street.....in case of deluge you can step back under cover (but wont see much of parade).

Level Contributor
32 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary help (1 week for solo traveler)

Thanks so much @dev1236! I'm flying to Sydney in a few hours time n I'm really excited about it! Thanks for your advices again =)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7,608 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary help (1 week for solo traveler)

Day 3 - while in the same area, Mosman Bay and the Zoo can't be done by direct ferry (unless early in the morning or late afternoon) so consider doing the Zoo first then a ferry trip back to Circular Quay and then another ferry (if you want) to Cremorne Point. It is possible to walk from Mosman Bay to the Zoo but you need a map.

8. Re: Itinerary help (1 week for solo traveler)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 February 2015, 07:18