We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Year question- Don't know what to do and ready to scream

Chicago
Level Contributor
108 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
New Year question- Don't know what to do and ready to scream

We will be in Sydney December 30- January 5 with 3 kids. We all get sea sick, so boat is out of the question. I also did not want to hold a spot somewhere from 10 am. Just not something my family would go along with. So I decided to be really organized and book my hotel early and get a view so we can just watch from the window. I was promised by Marriott that the opera house view room will have view of the fireworks. So I paid a small fortune to stay there. Then I looked at the reviews. Oops! You cant see the fireworks. The hotel offered to move me to the partial harbor bridge view room (they don't have full bridge views). What if I just walk out to Circular Quay at midnight? Can I just look up and see them? We don't need a picnic or a place to sit, just watch the fireworks and crawl back into the hotel.

Chicago
Level Contributor
108 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: New Year question- Don't know what to do and ready to scream

Lawn with the view seems to be an interesting option. How hard is it to get a spot to see the earlier fireworks. Can we just walk out for that one?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,054 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: New Year question- Don't know what to do and ready to scream

It's easier but not simple. Areas of circular quay will close due to reaching capacity. the probably is the one to watch from your room if limited views as the bridge usually doesn't feature highly.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
2,241 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: New Year question- Don't know what to do and ready to scream

What OZRCFLYER says is quite true. The view from Dudley Page is absolutely spectacular. Buses do go from Circular Quay to Dover Heights/Watsons Bay but they will be crowded. Most people get off at Bondi beach which is before you get to Dudley Page and buses leave again from across the road from the park. The local council charges an entrance fee to the park and you can buy food there, use toilets etc. There are fireworks at 9pm for the kids and the big one at midnight. Can you cope with the trek with the kids?

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,777 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: New Year question- Don't know what to do and ready to scream

Hi.

I haven't stayed at the Marriott so can't give specific advice. Circular quay and that area is PACKED at NYE. One thing to remember is that there are fireworks at 2100 too (and they also had them at 2230 this year). This had lots of benefits. You can use them to test out the view from your location. You can use them instead of the midnight fireworks, if you have young children. And you can sometimes use the fact that families will be leaving viewing spots at 2115 to go and swoop into a good spot to see the later display(s).

Enjoy!

Abs :)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,579 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: New Year question- Don't know what to do and ready to scream

how do you book tickets for Lawn with a view?

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: New Year question- Don't know what to do and ready to scream

I'm not sure why you would pay a kings ransom for a hotel room with a view and then go looking for outdoor venues to view the fireworks.

As I see it, there are 3 options.

1. Stick with the Marriot and settle for a partial view. Could they at least guarantee you a room with a Bridge view?

2. Cancel the Marriot and get a room in a hotel with a better view. It's early enough that this should still be possible.

3. Find a room in a cheaper hotel with no view and spend the evening at another venue, either paid or a free spot around the Harbour somewhere.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,127 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: New Year question- Don't know what to do and ready to scream

>>how do you book tickets for Lawn with a view?<<

Via the Royal Botanical Gardens website. This is the info. with prices for last NYE (this year's isn't up yet)

www.rbgsyd.nsw.gov.au/new_years_eve_2013

For NYE '13 we joined the foundation ($65) & then bought tickets to the Mare & Foal lawn which was $60 for members. It was a great night, BYO everything including alcohol (no glass), food, chairs or rugs to sit on. Great view of fireworks but only partial view of the lower bridge.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,054 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: New Year question- Don't know what to do and ready to scream

eva,

read posts 1 and 2…

OP has locked in the deal.

Marriott doesn't have good bridge views

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: New Year question- Don't know what to do and ready to scream

The LHS does have rooms with partial bridge views.

The OP refers to 'final sale' and has not mentioned that the booking was 'non refundable' on 'no cancellation permitted'. I'm unclear what that means. It could mean 'final sale at this price and prices go up from now on' which case the hotel may be happy to cancel the booking and sell the room at a higher rate later in the year. It's a rather vague term and not one I have ever come across in normal hotel booking processes.

More common on the windows of Persian Carpet retailers. :-))

Chicago
Level Contributor
108 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: New Year question- Don't know what to do and ready to scream

Of course "final sale" was a joke. I have paid in full and there are no changes/cancellations. However, in my communication with hotel they are willing to move me to a different room type. I could theoretically stomp my feet and try to get out of it both through Marriott or Amex (they booked it for me and there is a voice recording of me asking specifically for a fireworks view hotel). I looked into the lawn idea and there are no in and out privileges. We have to get there at 830 and stay there, rain or shine. I probably sound like non of the suggestions are good enough. But you have no idea how much I appreciate all of them, so big Thank You. I like the suggestion of checking out the earlier fireworks from the room and seeing what happens. The question is- what if I see nothing? What do I do with that? And if I do just the kiddie show - do I just walk out of Marriott to the harbor and look up or again there is more to it? Off to check out Mare & Foal lawn...