We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Year question- Don't know what to do and ready to scream

Chicago
Level Contributor
108 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
New Year question- Don't know what to do and ready to scream

We will be in Sydney December 30- January 5 with 3 kids. We all get sea sick, so boat is out of the question. I also did not want to hold a spot somewhere from 10 am. Just not something my family would go along with. So I decided to be really organized and book my hotel early and get a view so we can just watch from the window. I was promised by Marriott that the opera house view room will have view of the fireworks. So I paid a small fortune to stay there. Then I looked at the reviews. Oops! You cant see the fireworks. The hotel offered to move me to the partial harbor bridge view room (they don't have full bridge views). What if I just walk out to Circular Quay at midnight? Can I just look up and see them? We don't need a picnic or a place to sit, just watch the fireworks and crawl back into the hotel.

Chicago
Level Contributor
108 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: New Year question- Don't know what to do and ready to scream

Mia, Mare & Foal lawn looks great! How early do you think one needs to get there to get a spot?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,139 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: New Year question- Don't know what to do and ready to scream

Friends got there when the gates opened to reserve our spot but many people arrived much later (9-10pm)& there were still plenty if spots to sit towards the back. Just before midnight I was able to go right to the front to take photos.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,543 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: New Year question- Don't know what to do and ready to scream

>>>they booked it for me and there is a voice recording of me asking specifically for a fireworks view hotel<<<

Hi,

This information isn't for the purpose of trying to 'break' their reservation policy, it is for some sense of assurance to the best possible room allocation of your chosen room type.

For future correspondence with the Sydney Harbour Marriott (continue using the current email address but address to their full name), direct your room allocation request to Ms Elisse Hellyer and/or Ms Jennifer Brown. At the very least, you'll be dealing with persons of executive status. Good luck.

24. Re: New Year question- Don't know what to do and ready to scream

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 March 2015, 04:19