We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do on ANZAC holiday?

Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
What to do on ANZAC holiday?

I will be on Sydney for a trip from 20-26 April. Im planning some trips from there. I like more cultural and nature stuff, not fan of staying in beach itself.

Im planning the following daytrips from Sydney (1 each day):

a) Hunter Valley

b) Blue Mountains

c) Canberra

The question is whats the best thing to do on Anzac day (25), stay in Sydney and watch the parade, Travel to Canberra (something special there), Blue Mountains or Hunter Valley? Other options?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,838 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do on ANZAC holiday?

I'f stay in Sydney.

Canberra would be fantastic but the logistics and cost of accommodation may be a drawback

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,979 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do on ANZAC holiday?

+1 for staying in Sydney and watching the march and then going to one of the many pubs around and enjoying a game of 'two-up' Shops etc (if you need/want them) will re-open at 1pm

Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do on ANZAC holiday?

Is there something special in Canberra for ANZAC day?

Logistics is not so bad, i saw bus on greyhound. Its available for 57 AUD (return) departing SYD on 24 April 2014 6 PM or 8 PM and return could be on 25 departing 5 PM. Accommodation can be hostel, which i see its available.

Other option could be go to canberra by travel agency (day tours to Canberra starting in sydney), but its pretty expesive.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,101 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do on ANZAC holiday?

Yes, there's a big national ceremony in Canberra and a march. IMHO it doesn't have quite the atmosphere of the Sydney march, on the other hand it's not as long, which for a visitor might be a good thing and you get a commentary during the march which may also be a good thing so you know what you're looking at. The War Memorial will be bedlam on Anzac Day. It would still be a memorable day and you could visit the big national institutions afterwards,

Oz
Level Contributor
13,620 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do on ANZAC holiday?

Hi,

The dawn service in any smaller country town is something very special.

Cheers,

Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do on ANZAC holiday?

Thanks for all answers. I think i will be on Sydney, seems to be nice. I will also have to catch a flight next day to Hobart, so not very good idea to go far and return to Syd the day before needing to wake up early.

On the other hand, i really want to go to Canberra. I may go day before.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do on ANZAC holiday?

I agree that the Dawn a Service, be it in a country town or the main service at the Cenotaph is quite special.

Just so you understand, the 'parade' is not a traditional military parade of weapons and floats, but a parade of ex servicemen and women who have served Australia over the years in many theaters of war, with a scattering of military and civilian marching bands and a few current serving personnel. Quite frankly, I'm not sure it would be of much interest to a tourist, with or without commentary. Apart from the times i have actually participated, I generally find watching it on TV more interesting. Australians aren't big on flag waving and patriotic breast beating, but the ANZAC Day celebrations perfectly demonstrate our respect for what these men and women achieved and sacrificed. The dawn service, short, point at, moving and to the point epitomizes this.

If you go into a pub after the parade it's considered polite to shout an old digger a round :-))

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,979 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to do on ANZAC holiday?

nice post emel ... and for our OP... translating <<shout an old digger a round :-))>> ... buy an old soldier a beer

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
16,330 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to do on ANZAC holiday?

>>I will also have to catch a flight next day to Hobart, so not very good idea to go far and return to Syd the day before needing to wake up early. _ On the other hand, i really want to go to Canberra. I may go day before.<<

Canberra is not ideally a day trip, it's almost too far and there is a lot to see. Speaking of which, what exactly makes you want to go to Canberra? And how were you planning to travel there?

I wouldn't return to Sydney in the evening just to leave Sydney again the next morning. It would make more sense to stay in Canberra overnight and fly to Hobart the next morning by whichever combination of flights works best, either through Sydney or Melbourne.

Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to do on ANZAC holiday?

Thanks all. That makes sense to me. As i already bought plane tickets, seems better not go to Canberra this time. I also want to go to blue mountains and Hunter Valley (wine tours) by travel agency, there are plenty available and not too expensive.

I watched some previous videos of ANZAC march and doesnt look very touristic as Emei mentioned,On previous videos and bagpipes part seems nice, but as snodge said seems to be so long. And I would be watching many old veterans which wont make much sense to me.

I think i will use this day to visit blue mountains.