We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camden Valley to Hunter Valley

Level Contributor
8 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Camden Valley to Hunter Valley

Hi!

I'll be going to Camden Valley for Balloon Aloft with my friends in April. After that, we'd like to go to Hunter Valley gardens. But I couldn't find any route advice from the internet. Are there any public transports available for us? Or do you know if there are any coaches available? None of us can drive.

Thanks!

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,837 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camden Valley to Hunter Valley

try this http://www.whereis.com/

though you may need something more specific than "Camden Valley"

unlikely to be any public transport that goes directly between these two places.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
18,080 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camden Valley to Hunter Valley

How are you coming out to Camden, and where from? You would only find tours of the HV from Sydney I would have thought. There are certainly none from here in Camden. That would mean going back to Sydney, probably by the same way that you came.

thm, the balloon flight are from Camden Airport.

Edited: 09 March 2014, 07:09
Level Contributor
8 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Camden Valley to Hunter Valley

Hi! Thank you for replying!!

I'll be going to crown hotel motel from Sydney cause I believe the balloon aloft is located there. After breakfast then we thought of heading the hunter valley gardens.

Edited: 09 March 2014, 10:47
Level Contributor
8 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Camden Valley to Hunter Valley

Hi! Thank you for replying!!

I'll be going to crown hotel motel cause I believe the balloon aloft is located there. After breakfast then we thought of heading the hunter valley gardens. Yes we know of the tours but they involve wine tasting. We are not interested in those, just the gardens. Any suggestions?

Thank you so much!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,565 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Camden Valley to Hunter Valley

I don't know if Balloon Aloft is located there ... I think they could possibly pick up or drop off there and that particular motel is right in the main street of Camden.

If you stayed at any of the other accommodation mentioned on their website, I suspect but don't know for sure that you would have to get transport from there to the pick up point - very difficult from Narellan and from Rydges Campbelltown, you'd have to get a taxi which would cost you a min of $40.

Leaving Camden for Sydney or elsewhere, you could get a public bus to Macathur Square / Macarthur Station or Campbelltown Station - I'm not sure of the costs but it would take about 40 mins - bus outside Westpac Bank just up from Barenz café where you'll be having breakfast. Alternatively, a taxi rank is diagonally opposite the Westpac Bank in John Street.

As for leaving Camden and going to the Hunter Valley ... no coach trips from Camden that I'm aware of and getting there would take most of the day - assuming you finish breakfast by 9.30 - 10. An hour + train trip to Central Station and at least 2 hours + to Newcastle and then transport from there to the Hunter Valley. ... maybe you'd be at the Hunter Valley in time for afternoon tea !!

http://www.sydneytrains.info/timetables/timetables_by_line.htm;jsessionid=07A63F37AA646FD1E40FD8922D006555.node01#landingPoint

If you wanted to stay at the HV Gardens or in that vicinity, you'd be best contacting their via their website and asking about pick up / transfer from the Newcastle train station and back ... or hire a car from Sydney to Camden and up to the HV.

Hope that helps

Edited: 09 March 2014, 12:16
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,565 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Camden Valley to Hunter Valley

Sorry, the link to the train timetable won't work - please cut and paste it

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
18,080 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Camden Valley to Hunter Valley

They say on their website that they still pick up at Barenz, Dougo.

"Your pilots and crew will be on hand to welcome you when you arrive at Barenz Café on Argyle Street, Camden at the designated time. Enjoy a tea or coffee as you sign-in and make your breakfast order. See how the pilot checks the morning’s local winds conditions and listen while he or she gives you a short flight briefing."

onaradances, Barenz Café is only about 300 metres from the Crown on the other side of the road. As you leave the Crown, turn left. As Dougo said, it is the main street of Camden.

Level Contributor
8 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Camden Valley to Hunter Valley

That was really great help! Thank u so much guys!!

Well getting a car is not an option cause none of us drives. I guess we will have to make do with all the public transports available even if it will take us a long time.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,565 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Camden Valley to Hunter Valley

I did see that bit Frommy.

onaradances_

The Crown and Barenz do very nice dinners / lunches and coffee too so you won't need to go too far for something to eat or drink. In fact there are quite a few nice cafes in Camden so if you get there before lunch the day prior to your balloon flight, your only problem will be trying to decide where to eat.

There are a few nice dress shops / gift shops in the main street of Camden so that may keep you busy too.

You could also cross over to the opposite side of Argyle Street (main street) and walk down the end of the main street, past the MacDonald's eyesore on your left and walk on the footpath along the road leading out of Camden where on your right you'll see a park with a long path. This path is a "bike track" but a very popular walking spot for locals where many feed the ducks and water hens - take some bread and they'll love you ! The path is almost 4 km long and it is a nice walk as you wander past glimpses of the Nepean River.

An alternative is from The Crown Hotel / Motel, turn left and walk up the main street past Barenz, then turn right into John Street (Commonwealth Bank on the corner opposite Westpac Bank) and walk up the hill to the Anglican Church which is quite old. Continue on just a little beyond the church and walk across the road to the open grass area with nice views.

After that, continue walking on Menagle Road for a short distance (to Park Street) and you'll see Macarthur Onslow Park which has nice gardens (not like HV gardens). When you're finished looking, resting etc, walk down Park Street and you'll get to a T-intersection. Turn to your right and follow it around past Coles Supermarket and the Crown Hotel will be directly in front of you.

On the other hand, turn left out of the Crown Hotel, walk up to the second street (John Street) where you'll see the Westpac Bank on the corner, turn left, cross over the road a little way along and next to the local library there's a small museum which from memory has some historic artifacts about the district.

Also, in the library there are computers with internet access which you can use for free for one hour if you see the front desk tho' I'm not sure if you have to be a member or not to use them. If not, they will give you a code to access the internet.

Edited: 09 March 2014, 20:40
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9,856 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Camden Valley to Hunter Valley

Balloon Aloft also offer flights in the Hunter Valley (same area as the gardens but difficult to get to without a car) and Hawkesbury (start from Norwest Sydney).

Without a car you could spend hours on public transport (the Hunter Valley is really geared for visitors by car or tours). I would really suggest to re-consider the plan to go to the garden by public transport (it would be best to do on a separate day on a bus tour).