We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glebe vs. Redfern - near Sydney University - Safe?

Jena, Germany
Level Contributor
18 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
Glebe vs. Redfern - near Sydney University - Safe?

Hi! I'm in Sydney for a week for work (at University of Sydney). I was looking for accommodation and found two possibilities - Glebe Point Road and Redfern (right next to Central Station). Can someone please advise me about the safety of these areas or which one of the two are nicer? Is there any other neighborhood that might be affordable and recommended? Thanks :)

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,927 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Glebe vs. Redfern - near Sydney University - Safe?

Ahhh how can I put this...dont stay in redfern....glebe point road is hip, funky, cafes, a great market at the school on the weekend....stroll down to darling harbour....you will fit right in.....you wont in redfern.

Jena, Germany
Level Contributor
18 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Glebe vs. Redfern - near Sydney University - Safe?

Thanks for the quick reply ^^ So then I can assume Glebe will be safe at night for lone travelers? How's the public transport link to the USYD from Glebe?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9,517 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Glebe vs. Redfern - near Sydney University - Safe?

Glebe Point Road (the main road) starts almost at the entrance gates to the Uni (look at google maps to see location). Where in Glebe will you stay (as you may need/could catch a bus down Glebe Point Road) ?

The other close area is Newtown (lots of shops, food, bars, pubs, bus/train to the city).

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,434 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Glebe vs. Redfern - near Sydney University - Safe?

That end of Redfern is OK. (Iassuming you mean central and not red fern)

The area to avoid is on the east and around Eveleigh St. The area on the west si changing rapidly especially with the opening of the carriagworks.

Gelbe Point road is great choice but it also depends on where in the Uni you will be. If you are at Engineering for example or Biochem then you may be better at Central or Newtown. If you are in Fisher, law or Carslaw you would be better at Glebe. There are some areas of Glebe that I don not feel comfortable walking around by night (Glebe Point Road is not one of them)

Jena, Germany
Level Contributor
18 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Glebe vs. Redfern - near Sydney University - Safe?

So I'll be at the far end of Glebe point road I think (close to the YHA). I need to travel to Seymore Center and figured out a bus route that takes me very close to the place. But honestly, I was a bit surprised at how strongly people advice against lodging in certain parts of the city, especially for lone female travelers, although I had the idea that Sydney is quite safe.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,434 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Glebe vs. Redfern - near Sydney University - Safe?

Have you considered looking around Central? Where was the option in Redfern?

It would be much more convenient with lots of bus options virtually to the door.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9,517 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Glebe vs. Redfern - near Sydney University - Safe?

Glebe YHA to the Seymour Centre is about 2kms distance. You could catch a bus along Glebe Point Road and then get off at intercetion with Parramatta Road and walk across Victoria Park/City road to the Centre. The walk would be about 500m.

Edited: 18 March 2014, 20:09
Jena, Germany
Level Contributor
18 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Glebe vs. Redfern - near Sydney University - Safe?

I finally booked the place in Glebe. Cost was a consideration as well ;-) The bus # 370 runs directly past the Seymore center from Glebe point road. Otherwise, I could just walk the distance in the mornings at least. Thanks for all your inputs! :)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,434 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Glebe vs. Redfern - near Sydney University - Safe?

For your ticket make sure you buy a travel 10 as the bus is frequently pre-pay. I'd suggest buying it as soon as you arrive as lots of the convenience stores which stock them often run out and if you are scrambling.

You save a reasonable amount and still come out in front if you only do 9 trips.

You can usually walk across the park in the morning faster than the bus can get down Parrmatta Road and up city road and it is a lovely walk.

10. Re: Glebe vs. Redfern - near Sydney University - Safe?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 March 2015, 04:28