We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traditional weekend activities, particularly after New Year

Chicago
Level Contributor
108 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Traditional weekend activities, particularly after New Year

We will be in Sydney for Dec.30, 14- Jan. 5, 15 with three kids- 16, almost 10 and almost 5. I am slowly starting to work on my itinerary. Is there a traditional local activity on the weekends? For example, here in Chicago there is an open air market in the park in the summer with live music where local families head to on Saturdays. Or perhaps museums put something on? It will be Holiday break. Any festivals/events that usually take place that weekend? This can be a touristy as well as a purely local activity. Thank you

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,548 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traditional weekend activities, particularly after New Year

The Rocks market is always something I enjoy when in Sydney on a weekend.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
231 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traditional weekend activities, particularly after New Year

sydney festival starts early January sydneyfestival.org.au/About/Brochure-Request/ Lots of concerts and family events. Hyde park, darling Harbour, Centennial park and the Opera House all have events on through January.Also check http://whatson.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,790 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traditional weekend activities, particularly after New Year

I was also going to recommend the opening day activities for Sydney Festival, which are traditionally free. But based on the dates of past years, I think it would probably start around 8th/9th January 2015, which will be after OnlyModa has gone:

www.sydneyfestival.org.au/2013/Hubs/Day-One/

sydneyfestival.org.au/2012/…

OM, there sometimes is a bit of a lull in "normal" activities such as weekend markets - they may be likely to be closed over this holiday weekend, since so many people like to take holidays with their families. Many Australian companies completely shut down between Christmas and New Year, and maybe a few extra days depending on the calendar for that year, so standard weekly/monthly activities tend to be on hold. However, I suspect the tourist Rocks Market will be there as usual (it's every Saturday/Sunday) - see https:/…the-rocks-markets.aspx .

If it's a nice day, the beaches will be extremely busy - going to the beach/park or to friends and families for a BBQ is certainly a popular activity on these days off. You will find almost all tourist activities very busy with locals on holiday too. On Sundays, which would be 4th January 2015, the harbour ferries will be absolutely packed with people taking advantage of the $2.50/person family fares, assuming those still exist next year.

Definitely check the WhatsOn guide much later in the year, like November-ish, when most things will be finalised.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,132 posts
1,403 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traditional weekend activities, particularly after New Year

As mentioned by others it will be the start of the Sydney Festival which is always good fun. See the links above for details.

For other activities - Sydneysiders love the beach at this time of the year. Sydney has beautiful beaches - with many wonderful coastal walks which your children would also enjoy.

Take the L90 bus to Palm Beach & hop onto the Hawkesbury River ferry cruise or take the palm beach ferry over to The Basin. See links below.

http://www.palmbeachferries.com.au/

http://www.sydneysceniccruises.com/

For additional tips on what to do with children.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g255060-s401/Sydney:A…

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traditional weekend activities, particularly after New Year

Most events will not be advertised as yet, we are preparing for winter now, so summer is a long way off. Local councils advertise their events on their web pages if you know the area you are staying. Libraries often run free holiday activities for kids. Also try markets and fairs website, they also issue a magazine. Weekendnotes.com.au has great ideas for families, current events, cafes, etc

prepare for heat and possible summer storms, always have a rainy day idea or 2 up your sleeve. Go on aferry and explore some out of the way beaches witha picnic, surfboard lessons for the kids. The only traditional pastime we do on weekends is have our mates around for a barbie! Free bbqs in most parks, but take some oil and paper to clean them with first....thats it from me ♡

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traditional weekend activities, particularly after New Year

Oh you are here for new years eve??? The fireworks display over sydney harbour, now thats something to see. Families sit out at a good vantage spot and wait all day with a blanket and food till midnight. Yes thats a sydney tradition.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8,404 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traditional weekend activities, particularly after New Year

Catch the ferry to Manly Beach (for surf and swim).

Catch a ferry to Taronga Zoo

Day trip to Blue Mountains (tour or train/self organise).

Day trip by train to Kiama (beach, swim)

Edited: 17 March 2014, 09:08
Chicago
Level Contributor
108 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traditional weekend activities, particularly after New Year

Thanks, everyone! The festival looks great, I hope it starts that weekend!

We will do the usual tourist circle- Blue mountains, zoo, etc. Just want to make sure we are not missing out on something special to weekends and that weekend in particular

Chicago
Level Contributor
108 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Traditional weekend activities, particularly after New Year

I am saving all the great weekend activity links you generously posted. It looks like I should hold my horses and check back in September-October when relevant info is uploaded. I guess I am too excited to wait!

10. Re: Traditional weekend activities, particularly after New Year

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 March 2015, 04:20