We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best public transport ticket for 3 or 4 month stay

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
537 posts
Save Topic
Best public transport ticket for 3 or 4 month stay

Hi,

I'll be in Newtown for 3 or 4 months. What is the best public transport ticket for me?

I'll probably use either the bus or train once a day.

Thank You

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,199 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best public transport ticket for 3 or 4 month stay

That would depend entirely on where you are *going* each day...

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
537 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best public transport ticket for 3 or 4 month stay

definitely no further than Manly, the Olympic park and Coogee beach. Thks for your help.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8,638 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best public transport ticket for 3 or 4 month stay

So you have suggested Manly (via train/ferry or bus/bus), Olympic Park (train) and Coogee (train/bus or bus). The 'ideal' solution would be the new Opal pass (electronic ticket pre-loaded with value) which will soon work on all ferries and trains from 28 March but not buses until end of year.

Another alternative is a weekly MyMulti 2 but you need to use every day to be worth the cost.

For irregular bus tickets you can buy a MyBus Travel Ten (pre-loaded ten trips when ever you want to go and there is a discount) but you need to know the correct sections (either MyBus2 or MyBus3). I use the TravelTens on the bus and ferry (but it is regular trip). The other issue is that for many buses during weekday hours you must have a ticket to get on (ie the driver won't sell you a ticket).

There are no travel tens for the train but there are cheaper off peak tickets (travel after 9am). Buy the ticket at the station.

The above is why Opal electronic ticketing is about 10 years overdue in Sydney.

So possible solutions are:

- get the Opal Pass (for all train and ferry) and a Travel Ten for bus (need to know which one)

- buy train tickets as needed at the station (try to travel off peak) plus a Travel Ten for bus (need to know which one for correct sections)

Again all depends where you go, when and how often.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
537 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best public transport ticket for 3 or 4 month stay

Thanks for the detailed response. i think ill go for the opal pass plus the prepaid bus tickets. is that opal card like the myki card in Melbourne or the Oyster card in london and does the actual card actually cost anything.

Also, will it give u the cheapest fare automatically?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8,638 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best public transport ticket for 3 or 4 month stay

Have a look at this - it's not perfect and still being rolled out.

www.transport.nsw.gov.au/content/opal-card

There is a website to compare existing tickets with the new Opal Card.

www.opalornot.com/

Kwun Tong, , Hong...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best public transport ticket for 3 or 4 month stay

I'll say,

If you travel very frequently (more than 10 trips / week by train and some bus trips) on bus and train at the same time, I'll suggest get a mymulti quarterly.

If you travel less frequently and having the return leg in peak, but outgoing after 9am, get an return ticket and bus 1 travel 10

If you travel solely off peak, and less frequently, get an opal and bus 1 travel 10

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
Level Contributor
1,051 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best public transport ticket for 3 or 4 month stay

If you staying in Newtown,maybe for the first week to see how things pan out,buy a MyBus2 or MyMulti2(gives you trains and buses and limited ferries),then you can sort out after what tickets would best suit your purpose.There are Transit Shops located at Circular Quay,Central(Broadway side),behind the QVB and Wynyard.

Plenty of buses running through Newtown to.The 422,423,426 and 428 head into the city and go mainly to CQ,but some terminate at QVB/Townhall.Also the M30 goes same direction but heads out towards Mosman.The 370 can take you to Leichhardt and Coogee,and the 352 and 355 can take you out to the Eastern Suburbs as well.Dont forget that basically within a 10km circle of the CBD is prepay Monday-Friday 700am-700pm.

australia
Destination Expert
for New South Wales, Noosa
Level Contributor
3,264 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best public transport ticket for 3 or 4 month stay

Lots of trains now seem to stop at new town station....much better than the buses, frequent as they are its a slow trip often stopping every or most stops

9. Re: Best public transport ticket for 3 or 4 month stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 April 2015, 05:15