We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental Tips - SYD Avis n Bayswater

asia
Level Contributor
670 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Car Rental Tips - SYD Avis n Bayswater

Just thought I'd share my two cents with other TOURISTS.

I was contemplating between Avis and Bayswater car rental. Having read several reviews from the locals at various websites, I finally chose Avis because they have bigger cars, while Bayswater is cheaper (their excess is only A$400) and they only have Toyota Corolla.

Though Avis stated that they have Toyota Camry, they don't or that it was not available. They provided me with a Nissan. FYI, just a reminder that Nissan has only foot brakes and not handbrakes. It will be a challenge for people who are not used to footbrakes, especially when parking on slopes or when there is a traffic jam on slopes especially if travelling to Kiama.

When I collected the car, they stated 1 scratch mark on the document and also asked me to check for other scratch marks, but added that they do not think that there would be any. Interestingly, the car was parked in a dimly lit carpark. I used the torchlight on my phone to check for other scratches. Fortunately, I did. There was a long scratch that was not visible at all as they had just polished it and you have to see it from another angle. I also checked the rims etc. When I highlighted to them, I noticed that they were actually aware of all the damages, but did not highlight them in their document. They took note of the "additional" damages to the car on their OWN copy and when I asked them to amend my copy, they assured me that it will be fine as they will use their copy when I return the car.

This is the tricky bit. I took a photo of the document with the "additional" damages stated. On the day that I returned the car, they wanted to see my copy of the document which, of course, only stated 1 scratch mark. Fortunately, I took a photo of their copy of the document. FYI, the people handling the pick up and the return of the cars are different. Hence, be careful when renting.

After this experience, I realized that Avis is no different from the reviews given to Bayswater. Perhaps every car rental company is similar. The service at Avis is good, but just the honesty level was...perhaps as what my friends say, all rental car companies are not that honest.

I did not pay extra to reduce the excess charges, so I took the extra effort to check on the car thoroughly. I would advise all tourists to buy a comprehensive travel insurance that would cover the excess on car rentals. But do be careful to check that your insurance covers both damages to self and third party damages.

Mentioned in this post
The Bayswater Sydney
The Bayswater Sydney
1,154 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Kiama
Kiama
Kiama Municipality, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,818 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental Tips - SYD Avis n Bayswater

Why would Avis care about your copy of the condition report document, when as they said, it is the copy they keep that will affect whether they charge for damages? You could have modified your copy, while the copy kept in their office should be the "valid" one. This seems to be more stupidity/confusion than outright dishonesty?

I've rented from Avis a half-dozen or so times and never known them to be overly concerned about small scratches and digs. They have a statement on their document that explains what size scratches are considered normal wear & tear. Avis has been quite convenient for me due to their several locations around the city; I agree with you about getting good travel insurance to cover the large excess in the event of a crash.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental Tips - SYD Avis n Bayswater

>>Nissan has only foot brakes and not handbrakes. << No car without an emergency brake could be registered in Australia. I've never seen or driven any car without one Does such a thing even exist? Are you sure you just didn't know where it was or how to use it? In some

Vehicles the emergency brake is foot operated.

Edited: 27 March 2014, 05:15
Mentioned in this post
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
26,831 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental Tips - SYD Avis n Bayswater

100% Emel.

Maybe the OP didn't notice it's against the left hand wall of the drivers footwell, and assumed the hand release is an ashtray.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,818 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental Tips - SYD Avis n Bayswater

I think OP clearly did know the parking/emergency brake is operated by a foot pedal, hence why he called it a "foot brake." When parking on a hill it requires you to push this lever with your left foot, while holding the primary brake with your right, which could be a bit of coordination if not used to it - maybe he's an automatic driver and not used to using the left foot for anything? Or maybe he's one of those drivers who drives an automatic with the left foot on the primary brake pedal, thus he's run out of feet?

Still it seems like a surmountable problem!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
20,139 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rental Tips - SYD Avis n Bayswater

As for Camry vsNissan

When booking it always says or similar i.e. same class of car.. could have been a Camry, the Nissan or mid sized holden or ford, Hyundai i30

as for foot operated brake…..

well guess what i reckon you had an auto so hardly any need for the "emergency brake use"

FWIW one of my cars has the emergency brake in the footwell and the only issue is if you are supervising a learner you have no OMG I need to stop now option

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
26,831 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Rental Tips - SYD Avis n Bayswater

>>>FWIW one of my cars has the emergency brake in the footwell and the only issue is if you are supervising a learner you have no OMG I need to stop now option<<<

Lol, Now that's funny.

Edited: 27 March 2014, 08:12
asia
Level Contributor
670 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Rental Tips - SYD Avis n Bayswater

Jerermy, The guy who was in charge of car returns WANTED MY copy of the report condition document. According to him, that was what I had SIGNED for. So if what you said is correct, does it mean that any car hirer can amend the documents anytime after renting the car without the AVIS staff present? Coz what you stated did NOT make any sense.

emei, I was referring to the emergency brakes being FOOT brake using your LEFT foot.

KVE, from your reply, you seem to be completely ignorant of Nissan cars. I suggest you walk in to Nissan to get a test drive! Your insult is definitely UNCALLED FOR! But then again, how can I blame someone who doesn't even drive a new Nissan? lol. You sound like a complete country bumpkin!

Gurus, then you must be a genius not to use any brakes other than the normal footbrake on a steep slope and caught in a jam.

Edited: 27 March 2014, 08:24
Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Rental Tips - SYD Avis n Bayswater

Gemsy, do you know the difference between a foot brake and an emergency brake? They are two completely different systems. If you didn't know how to operate the car correctly you probably should have asked at the counter. And yes, I know how to drive a Nissan. Calling someone names on this forum is neither helpful not is it permitted by TA guidelines.

asia
Level Contributor
670 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Rental Tips - SYD Avis n Bayswater

Jeremy, if you had READ CAREFULLY, I have stated the warning of the footbrakes for people who are not used to it. I have absolutely no issues with it as I own a Nissan. Thank you, but I do NOT need 3 legs to drive!

Let's not forget that there are tourists from Europe and U.S. who are not used to driving the same side as Australia. If they cannot get their coordination right in an emergency, they will surely end up in a severe accident.

Mentioned in this post
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
20,139 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car Rental Tips - SYD Avis n Bayswater

No I drive an auto and i don't have problem….. 12(if it were my manual then yes i would need an emergency brake)

Maybe because i can actually drive… I sit on steep hills every day in jams...

>>Bayswater is cheaper (their excess is only A$400) and they only have Toyota Corolla.<, They have RAV4 which FWIW is in the same class size as the Camry at all other rental places and tar ago which is larger again.

Mentioned in this post
The Bayswater Sydney
The Bayswater Sydney
1,154 Reviews
Sydney, Australia