We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sydney Easter 19/4-22/4

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
1 post
Save Topic
Sydney Easter 19/4-22/4

I and my boyfriend are going to Sydney this Easter to celebrate our 1 year anniversary ( 4 days 3 nights)

I have already booked the room at Siesta Inn which I think It is pretty cheap and the location is quite good as well.

I am planning to go on a Blue Mountain Day tour with Viator costing around 200 dollars for 10 hours.

I just really need some answers for some of my questions down below.

We paid 240 d for flights + 135 for accommodation +200 for Blue mountain ( not book yet) + 75d for tall ship cruise = approx 600d so far (per pax)

1) We are just students so our budget is pretty tight (100d more for expense per person) so I am just wondering if there is any more affordable attractions that we can go ?

2) About the transport, Should we take the Hop on - off bus or get the train/bus tickets for cbd travel ? Which one is more economical ?

3) what kind of tickets should we purchase (how many km, daily ? return? ) as we just have 1 full day, 1 afternoon and 1 morning to explore the city. ( If we go on the Blue mountain day tour which is a full day tour)

4) which area or town has the good and affordable food ?

because We are from Melbourne and the transport system in sydney is quite different from here so I am quite confused?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8,246 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sydney Easter 19/4-22/4

As you are on a tight budget:

- you could do the BM without a tour for the price of a train ticket to Katoomba and then walk/use local transport. Alternative is google BM Tours and they are priced from $80 per person (your $200 pp is a lot). Viator can be expensive.

- for cheap sights you can walk across the Harbour Bridge, around The Rocks, Opera House, free entry to MCA gallery and the Art Gallery of NSW - depends on your interests ??

- from your hotel in Kent St you should be able to walk to most places (The Rocks, Quay, Cockle Bay)

- for cheap eats and interesting are consider a visit to Newtown (train or bus)

- $75 for tall ship cruise - re-consider this as could be bit of a slow journey around the main harbour. Why not catch a ferry to Manly and return ? Just be prepared for Easter crowds particularly on a Sunday.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,121 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sydney Easter 19/4-22/4

I agree with the dytokyo to skip the viator tour & travel to the BM's by train instead to save money. I'd also wait until you're here to see what the weather is like before deciding on visiting there.

Chinatown is another area for "cheap eats".

By HOHO bus do you mean the free 555 bus? There is also a tourist one that you pay for. The 555 is good for getting between the city & Circular Quay. Sydney is quite walkable so you may be able to get by without having to pay for much public transport.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,788 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sydney Easter 19/4-22/4

I completely agree that you should do the Blue Mountains trip on your own. A return train ticket to Katoomba is $17.20 on a weekday (or $15.00 if you use an Opal card, though a bit of a hassle to order & load one remotely). On weekends it's only $11.80. That's really all you have to pay, but you might find it useful to take a local bus from the train station to Echo Point ($2.30). Since you're on a budget, avoid the expensive "Blue Mountains Explorer" or "Trolley Tours" buses.

You can visit the Scenic World rainforest boardwalk for free if you don't mind walking up and down the cliff. Suggested route is to go down the Giant Stairway from Echo Point, along the Federal Pass walking track at the base of the cliff, visit the boardwalk, then go back up the Furber Steps. Or pay $14 for a one-way ride up the railway or cable car (better deal than $35 for the unlimited ticket which is all you can do if you start at the top).

I think the Tall Ship cruise is a good idea if you want to see an old ship and are interested in seeing how historic sailing ships work (disclaimer: I'm involved in a tall ship although not the one that runs this daily cruise). But I agree it's slow and only covers part of the inner harbour - you would see more from the Manly Ferry (return ticket $14.80), and plus that gives you access to the beach at Manly. If you're interested in maritime history I can recommend the Australian National Maritime Museum at Darling Harbour; not free but you will learn a lot more and it's much cheaper than this cruise.

4. Re: Sydney Easter 19/4-22/4

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 April 2015, 06:17