We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spending money for three weeks in australia

London, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Spending money for three weeks in australia

Me and my boyfriend are travelling to Australia in November for three weeks; one week in Sydney, one in cairns and one on the Gold Coast. Hotels and travel all booked. Also have booked some attractions. Was just wondering how much money we will need for food/drinks and general spending money.

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,556 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spending money for three weeks in australia

Our prices are similar to the UK in general.

If eating 3 meals a day, I would allow $18-20 for proper breakfast + coffee or $8 for pastry + coffee

Lunch will be ~$8-12 take away

Lunch/dinner if you sit down at a restaurant will be $15-25 for a main at most casual places and pubs, or $25-40 for a main at really nice places.

Drinks are ~$8 each at decent bars (or $16-20 for a cocktail), although there are $4 happy hour drinks around

Entry to major tourist attractions (zoo, acquarium, etc) will be $25-40 (double that for Gold coast theme parks) and day tours (to the reef or blue mountains) will be $100-200

Allow $50/week for public transport. You will need a Go Card on the Gold Coast for the light rail and maybe a train trip to Brisbane. In Sydney get an Opal Card

---

I would plan for $100/day after accommodation and hopefully spend less

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8,922 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spending money for three weeks in australia

The only problem in using the Opal card for public transport is that is doesn't cover buses yet but should do by November (if it goes to plan). Look at the MyMulti3 for a week's unlimited travel on bus/ferry/train (including trip to Blue Mts).

If travelling backpacker class then cheaper options for tours often available thru your hostel.

Local pubs often have cheap lunch/evening specials.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spending money for three weeks in australia

if your backpacking 100 AUD should cover you

4. Re: Spending money for three weeks in australia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 April 2015, 07:16