We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 Days in Sydney

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
12 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
7 Days in Sydney

Hi, I have been reading threads on itineraries for Sydney and would like to ask the tripadvisor community for feedback on our proposed itinerary for travel in May.

We are a family of 9 (2 senior citizens, 5 adults & 1 child below the age of 16) visiting Sydney for the first time. Our original intended stay is 6 days but we are now rethinking of staying 1 more night. We have confirmed lodging in a serviced apartment in the Hyde Park area.

Day 1 - Upon arrival at hotel, check-in (if allowed) or have luggage stored.

- Check out surrounding areas for breakfast & grocery shopping

- Purchase Hop On Hop Off (HOHO) tickets (24hours)

- Lunch

- Start of Hop On Hop Off. Make 1 complete round (90mins) then alight at the following key points to visit: Sydney Opera House #10

Royal Botanical Garden #11

(walk to) Mrs Macquarie's Chair

Campbell's Cove #24

(walk to) Sydney Harbour Bridge area

The Rocks #25

QVB

-Back to Hyde Park

Day 2 - Early breakfast

- Continue HOHO if attractions in Day 1 were not visited

- Bondi for lunch (c/o HOHO)

- HOHO - visit other attractions and stops (like Australia Museum, Hyde Park)

- Back to hotel

Day 3 - Early breakfast

- Commute to church for mass

- Lunch with family

- DFO for outlet shopping

- ?

Day 4 - St. Mary's Cathedral

- Sydney Tower Eye & Sky Deck

- Art Gallery of NSW

- Sydney Museum

Day 5 - Early breakfast

- Blue Mountains - Scenic World

Day 6 - Check out from hotel

- 2 senior citizens & 1 adult fly out to Melbourne

- Transfer lodging for 1 night for the remaining 6 (will still look for hotel)

- Circular Quay

- (ferry to) Taronga Zoo

- Darling Harbour - Sydney Sealife Aquarium

Day 7 - Check out

- Free time till flight to Melbourne

*Sydney Sealife Aquarium (if unable to do it the previous day)

Would appreciate any feedback you can give. Thank you.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
12,825 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 Days in Sydney

I have not used the HOHO bus but if you do, I suggest you see if you can buy the tickets on board, to get the 24 hour clock started as late as possible, since you will want to get to Bondi (and back?) on it. I agree it is. one way to get your bearings and see the loop, but it is relatively expensive. The cost-effective part is if you can get the Bondi round trip in the fare...a taxi from Bondi to The Rocks is about 25AUD.

Some of the things you want to see like the Opera House, Botanic Gardens are close enough that walking is more convenient unless walking is a problem for some family members. Look on Google Maps to see walking routes that give distances.

Campbells Cove is maybe a 10-15 minute walk from the Opera House. The Rocks can take a long time to explore and really is very interesting. I never get tired of it!

In my opinion, riding the Sydney Ferries is a great way to get on the water, see the Harbor, go somewhere different. The Manley Ferry takes you to a seaside beach town; Watsons Bay is another option. Might see if there is time for one or the other--about 2-3 hours.

Not sure what you plan to buy at the outlet shops. No offense intended to Australians, but most manufactured items are hideously expensive in Australia, compared to the prices we see in Virginia!!! A 20-oz Diet Coke (equivalent) is AUD4.80, for example. Clothing items are about twice what I'd see at Macys. I find the best use of my money is to buy interesting, handmade or "only in Australia" items...a carving from the shop at the Museum of Contemporary Art (free admission, right next to Circular Quay) for AUD50 is my prized souvenir of this trip. Look at the shops in The Rocks to see if anything there appeals, unless you know for sure those outlet stores have things you must have. (I have heard that we can get Ugg boots for less here!)

If I misunderstand and you mean the Duty Free shops, you need your passport with you and I do not fine prices there very appealing. But take a look...I just suggest you look around The Rocks before committing to the DFO.

Some other random suggestions:

Be sure you tell your bank (for the ATM card) and credit card companies you are going to Australia.

I got AUD for about $0.90 from ATMs when I was in Sydney, much cheaper than the starter money we got at Travelex to have taxi money for arrival. I use ATMs inside banks since I worry it will "eat the card" and there are lots of banks near where you are staying and on your way to Circular Quay.

I find cash easier to use for ferries (you can get the Zoo tickets as a package there) and such than my chip and signature credit card. I mainly used that in restaurants, not on the fly. It takes a while and plopping down cash is fast. So we used a lot of cash, compared to what we'd use on a trip in the US. The ATM fee charged by the Sydney bank was $2.50, my bank added $5 for an AUD400 withdrawal. For convenience, it was worth it to me and I made a few withdrawals during the trip.

There are lots of hills once you get away from the shoreline. I made good use of hiking poles for my creaky knees. No one looked askance :)

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,450 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 Days in Sydney

>>No offense intended to Australians, but most manufactured items are hideously expensive in Australia, compared to the prices we see in Virginia!!! __ I find the best use of my money is to buy interesting, handmade or "only in Australia" items.<<

I completely agree. I do not see the attraction in outlet shopping for not particularly cheap cheap imports in Australia. Shopping for unique and special items at small quality stores or weekly markets is a different matter.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,409 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 Days in Sydney

Hi,

Just some thoughts...

Day 1

Allow flexibility to do less on the day of arrival - especially with 2 senior citizens in your party.

Closest location for groceries from Hyde Park depends on which end of Hyde Park your hotel is located.

Day 3

Was there anything specific about DFO you were interested in? It's a long way to go, just to 'have a look'.

Day 4

It is very likely that you would have attended St Mary's for mass the day before. The other attractions will barely cover half day, so you've got a spare afternoon. I'd keep that flexible.

Day 6

Was there a reason why you are moving hotels?

It could be a long day checking out of one hotel, checking into another, plus adding in the zoo and aquarium. You may wish to do the zoo on Day 3 instead of DFO. It would free you up to look around Chinatown, Darling Harbour and the fish market.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7,819 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 Days in Sydney

Day 3 DFO - if at Homebush then not worth the long trip. There is an alternative at BirkenHead Point but a bit difficult to get to (most people go by car).

For shopping consider Pitt St Mall/Westfield/Queen Victoria Building.

Day 6 - why change hotels ?

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
10,904 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 7 Days in Sydney

There are many busses from the city that go past Birkenhead Point shops. They stop on Victoria Rd and The shops are only a short walk from the bus stop.

I agree that going to Homebush is not worth it. Birken Head Point is better anyway IMO.

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
12 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 7 Days in Sydney

Thank you very much for all your feedback. We have decided to forgo with the outlet shops and explore instead the Sealife Aquarium, Circular Quay, Darling Harbour and time permitting, The Rocks again. Or we can also do Taronga.

We are checking out of the serviced apartment because we had originally intended a 5night stay in Sydney but will be extending for 1 more night. The apartment is already fully booked so we are unable to extend there.

Does Sydney have an ultimate or ride-all-you-can pass for the ferries, buses & trains?

Again, your feedback are much appreciated. Thank you very much.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
121 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 7 Days in Sydney

There is a mymulti day pass which will give you access to all buses, trains and ferries, but there are limits as to where you can go. The city rail site will probably give you more detail: sydneytrains.info/tickets/which/mymulti_day

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7,819 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 7 Days in Sydney

Also look at the weekly MyMulti ticket

www.sydneytrains.info/tickets/which/mymulti

9. Re: 7 Days in Sydney

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 April 2015, 05:17