We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sequencing of days

makati
Level Contributor
100 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Sequencing of days

Hi, Everyone! My 2 sons (19 & 14 yrs. old) & I will be in Sydney on April 24 – May 8 (2 weeks). We will be staying in a hostel near the Central Station. I know that it is Anzac Day on the 25th so we plan to join in on the activities. I saw on the map that we are very near the Anzac memorial. Will this be a good place to go?

From my research, these are some of the places I think we shouldn’t miss. Since we would be in Sydney for 2 weeks, I’m thinking we have plenty of time to really explore each place so would it be best to stay there for the whole day? Or would some places take a few hours to see so we might as well bundle them with the others?

1. Taronga zoo - Any suggestion for a good place to eat (lunch & dinner) but not too expensive. My sons love to eat!

2. Bondi beach – we will join the free spotted walking tours.

3. Manly beach – This will take the whole day, I’m sure.

4. Sydney aquarium – we decided we’d want to see the platypus and the sharks. And catch the feeding times.

5. Free tours Sydney – There’s 2 free tours. In the morning or afternoon. We will also catch the 6pm free walking tour. Any suggestions where to eat around the area?

6. Sydney tower - We’d go in the morning. But I read that if it’s cloudy, there’s no point going. Is there other things/places to go near it where we could wait till the weather gets better? If not we can skip it & go on a clearer day.

Or could this day include the Sydney harbor bridge and the pylon lookout. Unfortunately, The Bridge climb is way beyond our budget.

7. Sydney art gallery – free guided tours. Will this take the whole day? My elder son is into the arts but the younger one will probably want to go through this fast. I’d like an option for him just to keep him interested.

8. Blue mountains – I’m thinking of getting the hop-on/hop-off bus around Blue mountains which includes riding the Skyway, Cableway and Scenic Railway. I don’t want to rush through all the places to see so I’ve booked a place to stay overnight. I’d want to see Jenolan caves & go for something that would give my boys an adrenaline rush. Any suggestions?

9. QVD, Botanic Gardens and Mrs. McQuarries chair, Hyde Park Barracks -

Where could we include this from the above places we want to see? Are these all places near each other?

10. Is there a place where we can watch a professional baseball game?

This still leaves us a lot of extra days to explore other things, right? Any place we should go?

I saw VIVID Sydney. Will there be anything planned on the days we will be there?

Or should we go out of Sydney and spend 2-3 days in another place? But not too far, so that we can head back to catch our flight to Manila in the morning.

makati
Level Contributor
100 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Sequencing of days

I'd greatly appreciate if you can help me plan which should be day 1, day 2 & so forth. Although, I booked the Blue mountains overnight stay on a Saturday so we can explore some more on Sunday. Then head back to our hostel near the central station.

Do you think it would be better on a weekday? Maybe less people, shorter lines?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,786 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sequencing of days

Hi,

The sequence doesn't matter. I would just do activities based together on geographical locations and available time.

- I would not do Sydney Tower. Overpriced in my opinion. The pylon climb and walk across the bridge is better value.

- 7 & 9 can be done together, the Art Gallery tour won't even take half a morning.

- any spare time, leave it open to give yourself flexibility. It gives you breathing space in case of unforeseen circumstances such as bad weather and fatigue.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,525 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sequencing of days

>>I know that it is Anzac Day on the 25th so we plan to join in on the activities. I saw on the map that we are very near the Anzac memorial. Will this be a good place to go?

7. Sydney art gallery – free guided tours. Will this take the whole day? My elder son is into the arts but the younger one will probably want to go through this fast. I’d like an option for him just to keep him interested.

Or should we go out of Sydney and spend 2-3 days in another place?<<

There are at least two art galleries I know of, the Art Gallery of NSW and the Museum of Contemporary Art, so with an interest in art make time for both.

With two weeks I'd definitely suggest you spend some time somewhere else in addition to Sydney. It's a good idea to overnight in the Blue Mountains, maybe even make it two nights.

Another idea is Canberra.

Visiting the museum at the War Memorial would give you a better idea of what Anzac Day is all about, admission is free.

For art there's a few choices, admission to the galleries is free but the special exhibitions do have admission fees.

The National Gallery's current major exhibition is Gold and the Incas (family ticket $55).

Next door is the National Portrait Gallery which has the National Photographic Portrait Prize ($10, under 18 free).

The Museum of Australia is hosting Old Masters, Australia's Great Bark Artists (family ticket $30).

The Glassworks admission is by donation, you can watch the glassmakers at work and it's a lovely warm place to be if the weather is like it is today. Best to ring and check first, when I've been sometimes they're working and sometimes not. On weekends, for $70 plus postage, you can make your own glass paperweight. Minimum age 14, no previous glassmaking experience necessary. The reason for postage is the paperweight needs to be cooled, you can't take it with you on the day. To do the paperweight-making you need to book in advance.

And if the weather is nice, for something a little different, you can hire Segways to ride around the lakeshore.

Canberra is about a half hour flight from Sydney and is also accessible by train or bus.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,525 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sequencing of days

Just to add regarding weather. Traditionally Anzac Day is when autumn really cools down (does it feel early this year?). The Blue Mountains, being inland and up in the mountains, is colder than Sydney. So bring some warmer clothes. If you choose to come to Canberra it is also a colder inland region. I agree with KVE1005, allow yourselves some flexibility in case of bad weather.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9,368 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sequencing of days

Anzac Day - there is a march through the city so watch this around George Street near Town Hall. This is now quite popular so there will be crowds but less people closer to the start of the march.

Taronga Zoo - take your own food or eat in the zoo (not sure about price/quality). No restaurants in the area as surrounded by upmarket houses in Mosman. You could walk for 15 minutes up to Mosman shops for a meal (the Beuna Vista Hotel has specials) and then catch a bus back to the city.

Bondi Beach - look at doing a coast walk to either Bronte/Coogee (bus back to the city) or Watsons Bay (bus or ferry back to the city).

Manly Beach - have a walk or swim (between the flags please)

Vivid - not started

No professional baseball in Sydney

With 2 weeks you could visit Canberra but would need to plan getting around if you don't have a car.

makati
Level Contributor
100 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Sequencing of days

I researched on Canberra & it's a very interesting place to go. I've flagged:

1. National museum

2. Questron

3. War memorial

4. Cockington green

5. Tidbinbilla nature reserve

I'm positive this is not doable in a day. Please help me do a sequencing of how to divide these places in 2-3 days, perhaps? Since it's 3 hours away by bus from Sydney.

I also read that the Gold & Inca exhibit is so full that it's hard to navigate around. It might not be worth the $55.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,525 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sequencing of days

I was thinking of going to Gold and the Incas last week but I haven't been yet. I've only been to one exhibition where it was so busy it was hard to see all the paintings but I think we chose a busy day for a particularly popular exhibition and it just required a little patience. If Gold and the Incas doesn't seem like an absolute must do to you then you can easily explore the other galleries for free. The National Gallery is near Questacon so you could walk over and see how busy it is and decide on the day, and the Portrait Gallery is nearby too. See http://www.action.act.gov.au/ for bus routes. I'd avoid the area on 24th-25th though.

The War Memorial and the Museum of Australia are in opposite directions from the city centre. About a 20-30 minute walk from the city or a short bus ride. The Memorial is a flat easy walk along suburban footpaths, the Museum is a little more difficult, I have done it but for a visitor it might be easier to catch the bus.

Cockington Green is at the northern end of Canberra, look for Federation Square on that website for bus routes.

Tidbinbilla Nature Reserve is out in the countryside and not really accessible if you won't have a car.

As a closer alternative on a sunny day the botanic gardens are nice, there's no guarantees but I have often seen kangaroos there.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,525 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sequencing of days

Gold and the Incas finishes on the 21st, I'm sorry I missed that detail, I usually double check the websites for such things.

9. Re: Sequencing of days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 April 2015, 07:15