We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canberra to Blue mountains or the other way around?

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
makati
Level Contributor
99 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Canberra to Blue mountains or the other way around?

Hi all! My 2 teenage sons & I will be staying in Sydney from Apr.24 to May 8. We plan to stay in Sydney for a week. Then go for an overnight stay in the Blue Mountain ( we plan to take the Oztrek overnight tour). Then we'd want to go to Canberra to see the sights over there. Stay overnight at the Canberra YHA.

Since the Blue mountain tour will go back to Sydney at night, we'd have to spend the night in Sydney. Then in the morning, catch the bus going to Canberra. I found out there's a HOHO bus in Canberra. But we'd want to see the Cockington green which seems to be a problem since we don't have a car. Although I read somewhere that there's a bus going there. I just forgot what station it was.

With this itinerary, do you think this is a hectic pace knowing that we have a week left after we leave Sydney on the 1st week? I'd want to be settled in Sydney at least 2 days before we leave for Manila in the morning of May 8.

makati
Level Contributor
99 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Canberra to Blue mountains or the other way around?

I also read that it would be better to book the overnight tours once we are in Sydney to have a flexible plan in case of bad weather so I've cancelled my booking to the blue mountains.

I've been checking on the 14 days projected weather in Sydney & relying on them to make my itinerary. But, looking at all the weather pages, some of them have different weather on certain days.

From Sydney, which would be better to go first? Canberra or Blue Mountains? Does it really matter?

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Canberra to Blue mountains or the other way around?

Cockington Green is a weird tourist attraction that people go to when they get really bored in Canberra. I would not bother!

If you come to Canberra, visit Parliament House, the National Gallery, War Memorial. Walk/ride around the lake, and also make sure you visit some of the new bars/cafes popping up everywhere

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
231 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Canberra to Blue mountains or the other way around?

Canberra and Blue mountains order-if you know when the best weather is I would choose Blue mountains when it is the best weather.

If you are not too tired after the mountain visit you may be able to get a bus from sydney to canberra that evening, also if you can check in late to yha.

As you probably have already researched cockington green, you will know it is displays of miniature buildings and villages. You may have to get a bus from canberra city to Belconnen then another bus to Cockington Green.It is probably only a 15 min drive directly but having to catch 2 buses would add a lot of time.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,310 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Canberra to Blue mountains or the other way around?

>>Canberra and Blue mountains order-if you know when the best weather is I would choose Blue mountains when it is the best weather.<<

I agree.

The Blue Mountains is mostly outdoors and very weather dependent, apparently if the weather is very bad you can't even see much through the rain and fog.

Canberra is mostly indoors except for Cockington Green and even that would be doable if you have umbrellas unless it's really windy and horrible, in which case there are many indoor alternative attractions.

So IMO the Blue Mountains is the bigger priority when you have the chance of good weather.

(Edit: However I should add I am not taking into account transport as I do not know what you have planned with that.)

Edited: 18 April 2014, 07:04
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7,605 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Canberra to Blue mountains or the other way around?

The BM with an overnight stay is definitely doable without a a car. But not sure about Canberra ? You will have an overnight there at the YHA after the bus trip (Murrays Bus is the best I believe).

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,310 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Canberra to Blue mountains or the other way around?

I know there's a bus service between Canberra and Sydney that stops at the airport, I was wondering if you could use that to your advantage, I might have mentioned it before? But now you say you want some time in Sydney before flying home?

makati
Level Contributor
99 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Canberra to Blue mountains or the other way around?

Aussieboy90, I was thinking Cockington green would be something of a novelty for my sons. The posts here on TA about it was very positive so I got curious. How long would you think it would take to go around it?

Linarosa, which bus could we get to go to Canberra at night? We would be arriving at night (maybe 9-10pm?) from Blue Mountains. Then transfer to a bus going to Canberra & have a late check in at the YHA. Would this be possible? Would I miss the view if we take a bus at night going to Canberra? It would save me a day's stay in Sydney. Or should we recharge for a day in Sydney & leave the following day?

Macknee, we plan to take the Oztrek tour. We will see the Jenolan caves on day 2. After which, we head back to Sydney. So the question is, should we spend the night in Sydney to recharge for the bus trip the following day? Or should we transfer to another bus going to Canberra on the same night we arrive in Sydney from Blue Mountain. Is there a bus company that travels late at night to Canberra?

With regards to that bus service between Canberra & Sydney, can help me with that? It could really be an advantage for us. We could decide to just chill in Canberra & on May 8 take that bus to the airport without having to go to Sydney.

Dytokyo, I read that there's a HOHO bus in Canberra. We plan to take that & get off wherever we want. I'd want to stay overnight in Canberra to have enough time to go trhough all the sights & really take in all the historical facts. I don't think a day would be enough. Right?

makati
Level Contributor
99 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Canberra to Blue mountains or the other way around?

Do you think that Cockington Green is not really worth going to? Considering the difficulty of going there without a car. Would this place be good for younger kids? ( have 2 teenager sons.)

9. Re: Canberra to Blue mountains or the other way around?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 April 2015, 05:16