We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Off-Peak Return Ticket

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
malaysia
Level Contributor
207 posts
Save Topic
Off-Peak Return Ticket

Dear all,

I have one question. I understand that Off-Peak Return Ticket, must ride after 9AM. If my destination is Central>Katoomba>Milsons Point.

Morning 9.18AM from Central I will go to Katoomba.

At 4PM, from Katoomba, I want to go to Milsons Point.

Am I allow to buy Off-Peak Return Ticket ($11.80) or I have to buy single ticket each way ($8.60+$8.60)?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,813 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Off-Peak Return Ticket

You can buy off-peak return

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,777 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Off-Peak Return Ticket

To clarify, the price is set automatically by the ticket machine or the ticket seller based on the time that you buy the ticket, not based on which train you ride. You do not need to worry about which type of ticket to buy - just select "Adult Return" on the machine, or ask for that from the staff. The appropriate price will be charged based on whether it is after 9am or not. The time of either train doesn't matter, it's only when you buy the ticket.

However my personal recommendation would be to get a bit of an earlier start so you have more time in the Mountains. Even with the peak return fare, I think $17.20 is still a real bargain and I would pay the few extra dollars to get a full day there.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7,809 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Off-Peak Return Ticket

And off peak is available anytime on a weekend

www.sydneytrains.info/tickets/which/mytrain

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,813 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Off-Peak Return Ticket

Totally agree with Jeremy. The earlier you can get up there and have time to just wander or even contemplate the mountain scenery - the better.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,813 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Off-Peak Return Ticket

9.18 gets you up,there around 10.30.

I guess the question is what do you want to hit?

If you just want to do scenic world (2 hours) and the sisters (10 mins)and snack on the go then plenty of time

And you can always return on a later train if you wish

malaysia
Level Contributor
207 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Off-Peak Return Ticket

Dear all,

Ok, I will get an earlier start, so that I'll have more time in the Mountains and Scenicworld.

May I know, how often the Light Rail & buses runs in town? Every 5/10 mins? (Example : Central>Fishmarket>Central)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
446 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Off-Peak Return Ticket

Services are so frequent that the light rail doesn't run to a timetable.

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Off-Peak Return Ticket

Just a comment on the earlier off-peak, discussion.

Don't forget that the 8:18am train from Central to Katoomba is also eligible for an off-peak fare.

You can buy the ticket from the ticket office any time after the departure of the previous train.

www.sydneytrains.info/tickets/conditions/

malaysia
Level Contributor
207 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Off-Peak Return Ticket

Hello inas66 & petitie_82,

Ok, now I understand. Thanks for the info on light rail & the off-peak ticket for 8.18am Central>Katoomba.

Appreciate & thanks a lot!

BTW, does anyone know which Whale Watching is good? I found there are 2. One is ExperienceOz & WhaleWatchingSydney.net

The best is it in morning session or afternoon session better?

ExperienceOz offering 4 Hour Whale Watching Cruise (I don't know what vessel but only 27 ppl maximum, available 8.45AM & 1PM)

WhaleWatchingSydney offering 3 Hour Discovery Whale Watching Cruise (using vessel Ocean Dreaming II, should be 100ppl? I'm not sure. Only available 12.45PM)

Edited: 29 April 2014, 03:17
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,777 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Off-Peak Return Ticket

There are three companies I'm aware of that offer daily whale watching in season, though there may be others from time to time.

Of these, I would definitely recommend WhaleWatchingSydney and the Ocean Dreaming II. The local company that operates this, Bass & Flinders cruises, has an excellent reputation and their boat is very modern with pretty good "sea keeping ability" for a catamaran - it has a kind of stablizer system (though it can still roll a bit in beam-on swell). It has a special outside lower deck at the bow so you can see the wildlife up close (dolphins like to cruise along the bows, and sometimes whales come quite close). Note that there is a morning cruise too for this company too - see schedule at www.whalewatchingsydney.net/cruises/discovery . WhaleWatchingSydney also has a smaller boat, "Totally Wild" for their 2hr cruises ("Adventure Cruise") but I don't recommended it unless you know you won't get seasick - it's definitely a rougher ride, hence the "Adventure" in the name.

Another company is "OZWhaleWatching" (this is *not* ExperienceOz - ExperienceOZ is simply a booking agent, not a cruise company). Their info is here: www.ozwhalewatching.com.au/packages-and-rates . This company is fine too - their boat has a decent amount of outdoor space, though not quite comparable to the special lower deck that Ocean Dreaming II has, and it's not as modern. As a slightly smaller boat it is subject to more significant movement if there is a bit of swell running (they don't advertise that it has any stablizers). I haven't been on this boat but saw it when I was onboard Ocean Dreaming II last season.

The third company is Sydney Whale Watching (http://sydneywhalewatching.com/cruise-information/ ). Their vessel "Explorer" is the smallest of the three main companies, and therefore would be most subject to swell and waves. It does offer very good outdoor viewing though. I don't have personal experience with them but they definitely go out every day during the season - I can't find their TripAdvisor review page however.

When are you planning on taking these cruises, by the way? The season doesn't really start up until the end of May.

For either company I would recommend the morning cruises as the wind and chop tends to be less in the morning, giving you a slightly better experience on the ocean. The whales don't seem to have a preference in terms of when they will be visible. It is worthwhile to check the sea conditions / predictions a few days before your planned trip - even on Ocean Dreaming II, it can be a very rough ride if there is significant swell, and the companies will typically let you reschedule or get a refund if the waves are over 3m or so.

Hope this helps...sorry for the wordiness :)

Edited: 29 April 2014, 14:54