We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 days in sydney help!

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
60 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
3 days in sydney help!

My husband and I have 3 full days in 2 weeks in sydney. I can't decide how to spend it, I wish we had 1 more day.

Day 1

Hunter Valley wine tour

Day 2

Either a Blue Mountain tour with a visit to see koalas

Or exploring Sydney and still going to see koalas.

Day 3

Exploring Sydney downtown and a half day out to enjoy Bondi

I believe it will be too cold mid May for the beach but we want to go out there for lunch or drinks.

My question is, do we forgo the Blue Mts or is that a must see?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,391 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 days in sydney help!

Hi

I think you'll get varied responses on what is a 'must see' which in my mind can only be determined by yourself.

Personally, I'd forego Hunter Valley rather than the Blue Mountains. At the end of the day, if you *really* wanted, you can get Australian wines in the US. You can't get a sample of the Blue Mountains.

The above is based on the assumption that you won't give up on Bondi no matter what.

Knowing what I enjoy as a local, in three days, I would do;

- Circular Quay, The Rocks, Opera House, walk across the bridge, if time suits the Pylon Climb

- Blue Mountains

- Ferry ride, Bondi to Coogee walk (not sit on the beach)

- season to taste and serve whilst hot

Edited: 25 April 2014, 16:18
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
446 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 days in sydney help!

Hello

Agree with KVE that Blue Mountains will appeal more than Hunter.

Also as a local, this is my ''must see'' in 3 days

*Day 1: Blue Mountains

*Day 2: The Rocks and Circular Quay or Botanical Gardens (even if its a cool day but the sun is out is better) and Opera House

*Day 3: Ferry ride to Bondi. Or just throw another idea out there is a ferry to Manly ;p

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
12,816 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 days in sydney help!

Wine Odyssey in The Rocks is great to sample wines...they have a big list and one of those oenomatic machines.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7,798 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 days in sydney help!

Post 2 Day 3 - there is no direct ferry to Bondi (this is a ocean beach) so either ferry to Watsons Bay (visit the Gap) then walk/taxi to Bondi Beach

Or ferry to Rose Bay then taxi to Bondi

Most people go to Bondi by either train/bus or bus (or taxi).

Edited: 25 April 2014, 22:44
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
446 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 days in sydney help!

Oh thanks for correcting me :)

Must have been thinking of something else

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 days in sydney help!

Are you saying that you have only 3 days in Sydney and plan to spend 2 of those days out of Sydney?

Seems odd to me. Or have I misunderstood something?

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,529 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 days in sydney help!

I agree with KVE1005

Except on the last day, I would:

1) Catch an early ferry to Manly

2) Have coffee/breakfast, walk to the beach

3) Take ferry to Watson's Bay

4) Walk via Camp Cove Beach to South Head lighthouse

5) Take bus to Bondi Beach

6) Have lunch

7) Walk to Coogee Beach

8) Have drinks

9) Bus back to city

This would take pretty much the entire day but you'll have a fantastic day of sighseeing

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
62 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 days in sydney help!

Lunch at Watsons Bay is nice, looking back down the harbour, especially if its a nice day. And yes I would leave out the Hunter, you can get lots of good Australian wines in Sydney restaurants. Then you get to enjoy them with a lovely meal. :)

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,450 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 days in sydney help!

>>I think you'll get varied responses on what is a 'must see' which in my mind can only be determined by yourself.<<

Agree.

>>Are you saying that you have only 3 days in Sydney and plan to spend 2 of those days out of Sydney?__Seems odd to me. Or have I misunderstood something?<<

Agree.

On rereading >>3 full days in 2 weeks in sydney<< are you saying you are visiting for work/conference or something like that and out of the days you will be in Sydney 3 of those are full days? That is, you will have time to explore the city in the mornings, afternoons or evenings, but you only have 3 days completely free to go further afield?

On the other hand you have allocated half a day to explore the city itself (btw we call downtown the CBD - central business district). Unless you are really not 'city people' that is way too short.

Another interpretation of >>3 full days in 2 weeks in sydney<<, you are arriving in two weeks time? I see your other current questions are about NZ so is 3 days in Sydney a stopover en route?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,948 posts
1,361 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 3 days in sydney help!

Another vote for dropping off Hunter Valley on your itinerary.

Day 1 - Sydney - catch the HOHO bus & ferry around Sydney including stopping off at Bondi Beach for a stroll along the Bondi to Coogee walk.

viator.com/Sydney-tours/…

Day 2 - Blue Mountains (whole day with tour to Featherdale Park.) http://www.featherdale.com.au/

tourstogo.com.au/tour/…

Day 3. - Ferry over to Manly Beach - lunch & walk to Shelley Beach.