We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport Train

8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Airport Train

I am flying in to Sydney this morning with 5 family members. We are only going to have hand luggage. Ive read somewhere on here before that there is a train station in walking distance from the airport that you can avoid paying the airport toll at. If this is correct what is the name of this station so I can google map it?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,927 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport Train

The sydney airport train is privately run...not the public transport system. Its quite expense...last time I was in sydney it was over $30 so I gave it a miss...my friend and I got a taxi instead....perhaps a mini van taxi would be a more economic move for your group.

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport Train

Here is a map I prepared earlier

http://goo.gl/maps/Wb6jD

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
746 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport Train

Technically the train stations on the line are privately run, but serviced by the normal PT system. The high ticket price is due to a station access fee. If you have tight timeframes the train is reliable and not affected by traffic.

To get to the CBD, a taxi is often cheaper for two people, and definitely cheaper for more than two. For 5 people the taxi rank attendant s will be able to direct you to a "maxi-taxi", but even splitting the 5 people across two normal taxis is likely to be cheaper than the train.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport Train

Inego, the OP is talking about walking to either Mascot suburban or Wolli Creek to avoid paying the Airport gate pass.

I hope they find the effort is worth it. The money saved won't even buy lunch.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
746 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport Train

emel49 - serves me right for coming late and only half-reading the OP. I was correcting magpiegirl's comment and then got carried away :)

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,556 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport Train

International: Wolli Creek

Domestic: Mascot

See inas66's map

magpiegirl9: Did you even read the question?

8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport Train

Thanks for the help. we ended up getting a maxi taxi which worked out to $55 from the airport to our hotel.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8,945 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport Train

So 6 people = $55 in a taxi direct to hotel (and no walking to a rail station). Commonsense prevails...............

Edited: 02 May 2014, 11:09
9. Re: Airport Train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 May 2015, 05:16