We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In Sydney now

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
183 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
In Sydney now

Hello,

I arrived in Sydney and was planning on dropping luggage at hotel and walk to The Harbour and them the. opera house, prior to checking in at 11am. Unfortunately it's raining and kind of cold outside. I was told the Westfield would help me acclimate myself by going for lunch. Is there somewhere I can buy a SIM card?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
446 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: In Sydney now

Hi Mishie

The shops open now.

There are a lot of mobile stores where you can buy a sim. Just have a wonder around :)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
183 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: In Sydney now

Hello,

I want to, but that 22 hour flight from NYC has me tired. The direction KVE1005 gave were excellent! Printed it out and followed the direction. Surprised how easy it was just had to find train station. Then followed his direction.

Will freshen up and walk to The Harbor hopefully it will not be raining.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: In Sydney now

The forecast is not looking good. Rain today and tomorrow - but Monday looks promising.

Have a great time.

Coming from a New York winter (especially the last one) our weather will seem quite balmy by comparison.

You can get a SIM card in any Woolworth or Coles Supermarket, 7/11 or convenience store. Also at Optus, Telstra, Vodophone, Virgin or other telco stores. Electronics stores like Harvey Norman, Dick Smith etc also sell SIM cards.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6,195 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: In Sydney now

Hop on a ferry & come to Manly. It's not raining here - sun is out at the moment. We've had a couple of short showers, but that's it so far.

Buy an umbrella on the Corso ( that pedestrian walk directly in front of the Wharf. It runs down to the beach. )

Have fun -we've been looking forward to your visit.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
183 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: In Sydney now

Thanks for the welcome!!!!

I will fight the urge to take a nap and head out to Manly. I was on my way to the Harbour and they said they had my room available. Still on NYC time, time when I would be getting ready for bed.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
13,829 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: In Sydney now

Do NOT sleep now! Go to Manly, walk in the sun, see the Museum of Contemp Art at the Quay when you get back...plan an early dinner, get to bed after 8 there, wake up readyvto go! Have fun. Wish I were back already :)

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,558 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: In Sydney now

Hi Mishie

Glad to hear you've arrived ok, sorry we couldn't have the sun out for you, but it looks to be holding out ok. The recommendation for lunch at Westfield's is great, as it's convenient.

When you step out your hotel, it's to your left and just at the corner of Pitt St Mall. The majority of the eateries are on Level 5, and for your SIM card, all the telcos suggested by emel are on the Lower Ground Floor.

Have a great time!

Edited: 03 May 2014, 02:21
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
183 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: In Sydney now

Thanks I am getting ready to head out to Manley now , I was given the suggestion to have a meal at Hugo's restaurant. Have my ipad to and Samsung note to take pictures. Hopefully Manly has dunes, co-worker ask me to find a sand dune beach and take pictures for her.

Going to Hillsong Church tomorrow, will make a tour for Blue Mountain for Monday. Brought a book on my kindle explore Sydney in 3 days.

Where do I buy a my multi. Was told to buy a weekly prepaid bus ticket. He said " my bus 2" take the 333 express or 380 all stops .

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6,195 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: In Sydney now

No "dunes" but a lovely long beach at Manly. Walk down the Corso & there it is. There is also a lovely little beach along a walk to the right (south) when you are facing the beach.That is Shelly Beach. The walk will take you about 10-15 minutes and there is a nice cafe about 1/2 way - The Bower Cafe, I think, and a newish one on the opposite corner.

Have a look along the rock wall on the land side of the path for the charming little silver sculptures of sea & land creatures of the area. And for the beautiful little water dragons (lizards) who will pose for photos like models. Their camouflage is good, so look carefully.

Hugo's is good - so is the new restaurant on the opposite side of the wharf between the entry to the ferries & the Manly Wharf Hotel. One of the Hermes family of hospitality venues, but I've forgotten it's name.

New South Wales...
Level Contributor
612 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: In Sydney now

Seven 11 stores sell Multi bus trips cards. You need to have a bus ticket in advance when travelling on a bus between 7am and 7pm. I am sure your hotel will tell you where the closest shop is the buy the bus ticket. When travelling by train you can buy a ticket on the actual day. If you travel after 9am it is cheaper on a week day, not sure about a weekend though. Have a wonderful stay.