We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please review itinerary

Chicago
Level Contributor
108 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Please review itinerary

Hello everyone,

We will be in Sydney December 30- January 5 with 5, 10 and 16 year old. We would have traveled through Tasmania and stayed at o'Reilly's by then so we are not interested in wild life offerings in Sydney. I have also purposely omitted beaches. There was just not enough time. Here is my preliminary itinerary. I might change it somewhat if we end up getting tickets to the Opera or if any of the museums post any great kids activities closer to the time, but want to have your general opinion.

December 30.

Our flight gets in at 1 pm. After we settle in the hotel, visit Hyde Park Barracks Museum

6pm- the Rocks free walking tour

December 31

10:30 free walking city tour

Australian museum in the afternoon

Lawn with the view for fireworks

January 1

Blue mountains

planning on taking train and HOHO bus

January 2

breakfast at Rocks foodies market

10 am rocks aboriginal tour

after lunch- girls do the bridge climb, boys and 5 year old- Aquarium

early afternoon- boys- climb, girls and 5 year old do whatever (probably shopping or high tea or perhaps even ferry to the beach afterall)

January 3

10:30 botanical garden walk

rocks market

6 pm family ghost tour at Quarantine Station

January 4

Justice and Police Museum

Art Gallery of NSW

Here are my questions:

-do you see any obvious red flags?

-are we doing too many Rocks tours? Should we just do the aboriginal one as we would see same places and probably here some of the similar stories?

-if we are going to be at the lawn for fireworks, we will have a chance to wonder through botanical gardens. Is there then still a need to go on their official walk?

- I picked Sunday for Art Gallery so we can join the 2 pm Australian works tour. Has anyone done any of their tours? Are they worth it?

Any feedback you have is greatly appreciated!

I'm Free Walking Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Anderson's Tours - Blue Mountains Day Tour
Walking Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Cultural Tours, Day Trips
Free Tours Sydney
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours
Welcome Walking Tours - FREE
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,131 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please review itinerary

I'd be surprised if the Police Museum and the Art Gallery would take up a while day. I usually go into 'sensory overload' if I spend more than a couple of hours. Plenty of time for the beach.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,639 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please review itinerary

I think 2 tours of the rocks may be overkill BUT you will get different perspectives

Not so sure about the gardens walk for the 5 yo. I found the walk kind of dry. No wandering around on lawn with a view night though, the gardens are limited access, maximum number and the lawn is an enclosed area.

I wouldn;t necessarily do BMs after NYE, yo will be quite tired and the BMs is in itself a tiring day. Train will also be on a Sunday timetable so less services.

I've done a few Art gallery tours and they are only as good as the guide. IME all bar one guide have been spectacular. The Aussie one will generally look at a few like Brett Whitely''s "Harbour View" and John Olsen. It's also a good insight into some of Australia's history through an art perspective.

If pressed for time I'd drop the Australian Museum, its more Natural history than Australian. The better option for Australia is the museum in Canberra

Chicago
Level Contributor
108 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please review itinerary

Great points! I can always switch blue mountain to Friday 1/2 but then I thought it might be less crowded on 1/1 and we can just sleep on the train. We have Field museum here in Chicago which seems to be similar to Australian museum. Perhaps I can save it for the rainy day. The good thing about beach is that it doesnt have to be planned. We can just go if we have time

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9,817 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please review itinerary

Lawn with a View - need to book tickets.

For museums - consider The Powerhouse in Ultimo

Edited: 05 May 2014, 05:54
Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
16,018 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please review itinerary

Two things I thought of reading that.

Regarding the Australian Museum, I agree that for an 'Australian' museum the Museum of Australia is probably more relevant than the Australian Museum, and as museums go the Powerhouse is another great alternative, I suppose it depends on what exactly you want from it.

I myself would not choose to do a day trip after staying up for NYE. Yes, you can sleep on the train, but IMO the wake/sleep/wake/sleep would be quite tiring and I suspect you'd still be feeling the effects the next day.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,131 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please review itinerary

Instead of the Australian Museum, if you are looking for something with an Australian theme then visit the Museum of Sydney. It's just opposite the a police museum. Small, interesting, basically about the history of Sydney and well laid out. About an hour or two should cover it.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,639 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please review itinerary

Good suggestion emel.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
16,018 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please review itinerary

I've noted that one for myself emel.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
5,648 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Please review itinerary

Hate to say- but I think your kids may be a little bored with all the museums? Mine would be and they like museums.

Is there any reason you have ommitted beach time? My kids like nothing better even just sitting in the sand and playing and doing whatever.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,803 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Please review itinerary

It looks like tickets to Lawn with a View go on sale in October and you should register for a pre-sale opportunity. I am not sure how quickly the tickets sell and how many people miss out, but I suspect it could be substantial who aren't able to purchase - pay close attention to the exact day/time of the sale. I would think about having a backup plan in case you don't get these tickets, particularly as it seems rather late in the year for these kinds of tickets to go on sale. But I'm glad to see you're planning on a ticketed option instead of waiting on the lawn all day in the public areas, which would be really difficult with a 5yo.

I think the Blue Mountains would be quite crowded almost every day in your visit but you would still enjoy yourself. I agree that going on 1 January after a late night doesn't sound ideal.

FYI GurusW, there is no appreciable difference in Blue Mountains trains on weekday vs. Sunday timetable, when you're starting in the city and heading to the mountains for the day - they are all once an hour. The only difference would be on the frequency of connecting trains from e.g. Town Hall or. St. James to Central, to transfer to the Mountains train, but this shouldn't make that big a difference.