We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road Trip - Sydney to Gold Coast

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Road Trip - Sydney to Gold Coast

Hi there!

I am planning a road trip from Sydney to Gold Coast in Nov. There are 4 adults & 2 children (3 & 6) in total. Our plan is this:

Sydney - 3 days

Blue Mountain - 2 days

Ports Stephens - 2 days

Coffs Harbour - 2 days

Byron Bay - 2 days

Gold Coast - rest of the trip

Can anyone help suggest the best route and what to see/do from Blue Mountains - Byron Bay?

Thank you so much!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
77 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road Trip - Sydney to Gold Coast

I have done this trip more times than I care to mention.

The old road (inland) is a far more scenic drive than the highway, but it will take you a bit longer.

If you go inland, there is less to see in the way of your planned visits, but some equally amazing places along the way.

If you are going to the blue mountains, I would recommend the Jenolan caves, they are really good (and offer something for everyone and varying levels of fitness - so ok with kids. The Scenic World is really good day out for the whole family.

Check my reviews for things to do in blue mountains, there is a really good pizza place in Katoomba (Gustissimo). We stayed at Amanti Cottage near the blue mountains (two bedroom cottage).

I havent been to Port Stephens but have heard good things!

With regard to the Gold Coast - its quite family friendly - loads of theme parks, outback experience etc.

In Coffs, there is a decent restaurant (Latitude 30) and a good place to stay (Aqua Luna) has its own private beach, restaurant etc. There is also a place called the big banana which is meant to be fun for all the family. There is also animal feeding nearby (Porpoise i think).

Sydney - there are zoos, botanical gardens etc. I'm not fussed by Bondi but a lot of people like to go there. Maybe the kids will enjoy a day in the surf. Its nice to see the harbour bridge and opera house from the water, you can also Kayak. The Rocks is a nice place to spend an afternoon. I love the goal, its a good activitiy and shows some of Aus' history.

Byron, is good to look around (Belongil beach (5-10minute walk) is nice for lunch - its a bit quieter. There is a really good ice cream place in Bondi. The national parks near by are really good too. Definately take a trip up to the lighthouse in Byron. If you are keen to splash out for lunch, head to Wattego's nearby.

Bangalow is a good place to grab lunch on the way to Byron - they are famous for their pigs so you can get some pretty good pork products there.

To be honest, its a really nice trip. Try and get up to Brisbane from the Gold Coast, its a great city, there is a riverside pool, museum (good marine exhibition on for kids at present) and just a little north of there (1.5-2h in the car / train) is is Australia Zoo which is really worthwhile.

The weather will be starting to warm up in November, be careful out in the bust if you do go walking, and take plenty of water. Make sure you get to places early to beat the heat and the queues.

let me know if you have any further questions!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
10,371 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road Trip - Sydney to Gold Coast

total 6 persons travelling - what are you hiring ??? Campervan won't do 6 people (I think) so a mini-bus ??? Or 2 cars ?

So you need accommodation for 6 people each night then. You have selected the coast route by staying at port Stephens etc is via The Pacific Highway.

look at www.whereis.com to map distances and driving times.

Ballina, Australia
Level Contributor
939 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road Trip - Sydney to Gold Coast

Hi michell, I'm with Ceej18 in regard to the inland route as opposed to the coast. But I'm not a tourist. Try to mix it up if you can. Maybe a night at Nelson Bay, a night at Coffs, head inland and spend some time at Dorrigo, Armidale and Tenterfield before heading back to the coast. Bangalow sweet pork is somewhat 'famous', but I don't think they source the pigs locally :)

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road Trip - Sydney to Gold Coast

Thanks @Ceej18. Your tips are great. I will probably have more questions once I've narrowed down the places that we will be headed to. A tad nervous well more in trepidation actually for the road trip, considering we have 2 small ones. Is it an easy drive?

@Dytokyo - we're planning to hire a van, saw some online. Hoping to find a good deal!

@Glenn W, would def love to mix it up! If possible, we hope to maximise our time however we have to consider that we are lugging around 2 kiddos.

5. Re: Road Trip - Sydney to Gold Coast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 May 2015, 06:16
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor