We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport Info

massp88
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Airport Info

I have a flight that is leaving Sydney for Los Angeles at 3 pm (or 15:00). My question is what time should I leave for the airport if I am staying in central Sydney? I've never flown out of the airport so I'm not sure what the security situation is and how long I need to allow myself to get there and checked in.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport Info

For a 1500 departure you should plan on being at the airport by 1300. You would need to get a cab from the city by 1230 at the latest.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,792 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport Info

Usually the deadline for check-in for international flights is 90 minutes before departure. So emel's suggestion gives you a half hour buffer to wait in line or in case you get caught in traffic etc. For a 3pm departure, I personally would leave a bit more buffer and get the taxi (or train) at 12:00 for a 12:30 arrival. Usually check-in lines for international departures are well staffed and move quickly, so this extra buffer probably won't be required. Note that security/immigration will be accounted for in the 90 minutes you have after checking in - that's already taken into account by the airlines setting the 90 minute check-in deadline.

On weekdays and if you are travelling by yourself, I recommend the train as it will be a bit cheaper and more reliable avoiding city traffic.

However, if you have another person or a lot of luggage, or are not that convenient to one of the city circle train stations, a taxi begins to look more attractive. A taxi will be a bit faster on weekends.

Edited: 20 May 2014, 15:29
massp88
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport Info

Thanks for the responses. I was looking at a map and while the airport looks to be pretty close to downtown, you never can really tell with traffic. I'll opt for a cab to the airport given the luggage I'll have and I am traveling with another person.

Another question; do cabs in Sydney accept credit card payments? Or do all transactions have to be done in cash?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9,069 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport Info

Accept credit cards but add a processing fee of 10% (a rip off and to be reduced to 5% later this year).

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport Info

But no tip required.

Raymond Terrace...
Level Contributor
1,083 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport Info

Check in for most international flights closes 60 minutes prior to departure. Check in usually opens 3 hours prior to departure. It's taken me as little as 10 minutes to clear immigration and security, and as long as an hour. I always like to allow myself plenty of time - I hate having to rush.

7. Re: Airport Info

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 May 2015, 07:16