We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blue mountains in winter

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Malaysia
Level Contributor
34 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Blue mountains in winter

Will be going for a Blue Mountains day tour end of July - how cold will it be and what kind of warm clothings should I wear ? I'm from the tropics and don't take well to cold at all ! Should I also prepare for rain ?

Thanks !

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,467 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Blue mountains in winter

Hi Maysie

One thing you need to know about the Blue Mts is that it may be a lovely "warm" winter's day in the city of Sydney, but completely different at Katoomba / Leura.

It has been known to snow up there in winter - doesn't happen all the time / every winter but it can and does happen from time to time.

You will need warm clothing, gloves, scarf, beanie.

Preparing for the rain is not a bad idea - fold up umbrella and / or a rainproof jacket should be OK seeing tho' for most of your journey you will be in a car / bus / train.

What sort of warm clothing? Well coming from the tropics, it's not something you would wear at home but if you travel to other places you may get use out of warm clothing. Things I would wear when I go up to the Blue Mts in winter are waterproof shoes, thicker socks, heavier weight pants / trousers, a skivy (turtle neck fleecy or knitted long sleeve top, jumper and a warm coat or polar fleece plus scarf, beanie, gloves.

You could consider buying silk underwear - ie, long johns, and long sleeved spencer. I bought these items and have worn them in the Antarctic, the Baltic and other places when it was cold and found that they keep me really warm so I don't need to pack heavier weight clothes - I still take a coat / jacket but not the skivy and jumper.

Temps in July could reach up to 16 deg C ... but that 16 deg C may feel colder than it does in the city.

Here's the temps and rain recorded in July 2013

bom.gov.au/climate/…IDCJDW2068.201307.shtml

Malaysia
Level Contributor
34 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Blue mountains in winter

Thanks for your helpful advice !

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,687 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Blue mountains in winter

>>but that 16 deg C may feel colder than it does in the city<<

Just a further comment. It occurs to me that not everyone is as acquainted with 'wind chill factor'. If it is windy it feels colder. Even if you are wearing the right clothes being in the cold wind feels colder than it is if your head isn't warm. That's when you really want a warm hat.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,781 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Blue mountains in winter

<<Temps in July could reach up to 16 deg C>> ... they could

.. but they could also replay one July I vividly remember where it didn't get above 9deg for a week - come prepared with coat, cloves, hat and scarf - or be prepared to buy them (for well over a 'reasonable' price) from one of the shops there

5. Re: Blue mountains in winter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 May 2015, 05:16