We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Initial plan ok?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Initial plan ok?

Dear experts,

This will be my first time to Sydney so I'm pretty much confused after reading the information online. I will be arriving 15th Jun morn and departing 19th Jun at 3pm. I would really appreciate your advice to help me plan an itinerary. I can't really walk for too long either, not looking at Hunter Valley as I do not drink.

I'm looking at staying at Park Regis City Centre, but it doesn't have wifi..any good similar alternative?

I found a list of attractions to visit, but not too sure if I can complete them, at a leisurely pace.

15th Jun (Arrival)

- Arrive at airport. Buy Multi pass. Drop off baggage at hotel and visit a weekend market say Paddington? Or any recommendation that I can purchase stuff like nougats/macademia nuts at a reasonable price? Get some nice souvenirs?

- Check in at 3pm. Rest an hour.

- Grab dinner around hotel area or any place I can go at night? I don't go to pubs/clubs.. If no, can I do Sydney Tower Eye and 4D experience this day or another?

16th Jun,

- 1 day Blue mountain (visit Scenic world, Katoomba, take the 3 rides, 3 sisters at Echo point, Featherdale) I don't intend to hike so are there waterfalls near any bus stops? How long does a bus trip take? I read that train from Central takes about two hours. What time should I depart from Central to be able to cover the sights?

17th Jun, 18th Jun

I would like to visit some shops where there is affordable plus size clothing, any shops in Darling Harbour/circular quay area?

- 1 or 2 days Darling Harbour/Circular Quay/Manly area (visit Sydney Opera House, Madam Tussauds, Harbourside Shops, Sydney Wildlife World to see and hug koalas etc). If I go to Manly, is Tarango zoo a better option to the wildlife world? Or should i fit a wildlife trip to Featherdale instead? Is there anywhere attraction where I can see whales without going out on a side trip?? Night - Sydney Tower Eye and 4D experience.

19th Jun

- Head out to Fish Market in the morning and return to hotel to catch airport transfer.

In my case, what kind of travel pass should I get? For the places I have listed, would a Sydney Flexi or Unlimited Attractions Pass be suitable? My hotel does not offer free wifi, costs $18 per day. So shall I get a prepaid instead? I probably won't use voice calls just data for facebook/surfing/google maps to share the trip online and get my bearings.

Sorry for the big number of questions! Please help me to plan a good trip! Thank you forum experts!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Initial plan ok?

Update: I decided on Central Station hotel..

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,588 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Initial plan ok?

Hello,

I'm not the best with planning itineraries, so I'll just get you started with a few bits and pieces.

- I'd highly advise against staying at the Park Regis. Could I ask how you came across this property? It's dated, it's tiny, it's not in an attractive location, and there would be dozens of hotels I'd choose before this one - if at all. You are arriving in the middle of the low season, and there are many great properties at cheap rates. Travelodge Wynyard starting at AUD$103/night would be like a palace compared to Park Regis.

- You mentioned 'Airport Transfer'. Don't use shuttle services in Sydney period. Use the search box in our forum and type in 'Airport Shuttle' and prepare for a very long read. Especially don't use on your way to a flight. We would suggest either the train or taxi.

- You've listed numerous attractions that we wouldn't consider mentioning as a 'priority' for Sydney. If you mentioned just one or two attractions, maybe we wouldn't have noticed, but the moment you mention Madam Tussaud's, Sydney Eye, Wildlife World, it screams iVenture Card. Unless you are going to all of the attractions listed, I would not suggest the iVenture card. Have you read the conditions? It comes in 3, 5, and 7 day denominations, and must be used on consecutive days. It's inflexible and bad value if you want to visit just a few of those attractions. Better looking up the attractions online, as they have multiple access passes available directly.

- Taronga Zoo is not near Manly. The access is by a different ferry.

- Suggest Rocks Markets

- Harbourside is fun as a drop in location for a light bite, and refreshments. There is a few clothing stores on level one and ground floor, but mostly 'street' fashion. Best looking around Westfield Shopping at Pitt St Mall, QVB, and along Market Street. And don't buy souvenirs at Harbourside, you can get similar products for less than half the price at Paddy's Markets.

- I would do the Fish Markets, Paddy's and Darling Harbour all together.

- I would do Circular Quay, The Rocks and Manly Ferry together.

- I wouldn't do too much other than brunch and a easy walk about on your departure date.

Just my $0.02

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,588 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Initial plan ok?

Not too keen on your update.

Really ordinary location, and I'm not sure how much the renovation would actually do to improve it.

How are you choosing these hotels? For the sake of $4 difference per night, again I'd choose Travelodge Wynyard.

Edited: 25 May 2014, 17:19
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Initial plan ok?

Hi KVE1005,

Thanks for your quick reply! I will take your recommendation and will take the train from the airport. I was inclined towards that as the train reaches Central very fast. But I read that it might be inconvenient to others if I board the train..so I had to ask about the airport transfer..

In your opinion, what would be considered 'priority' places to visit for first timers? I picked those places cos they seem to be all that people are recommending for Darling harbour. Please do share with me. I will look up Rock's market for more information. Thanks for helping me group the locations and sharing the shopping places! :)

Is it a repetition if I go to Taronga Zoo and Featherdale wildlife park? Would Taronga be easily accessible? Cos it seems that Featherdale may be do-able in the Blue Mountains day trip.

Hotel was chosen cos of location n there was a deal for free upgrade to a Deluxe King...I looked at Wynyard, costs about $40 more per night so it does make a difference..

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9,147 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Initial plan ok?

New hotel is much closer to our Chinatown/koreatown so more choices for eating.

Arrive 15 June - no Paddington markets on Sunday, so maybe walk around Chinatown and then Darling Harbour

16 June - your hotel is close to Central Station so leave as early as you want. Remember it is our winter and it can be cold up there (check the forecast)

17 June - walk down Macquarie St via Hyde Park Barracks to Opera House, The Rocks and ferry to Manly (different ferry to Zoo)

18 June - morning ferry to Taronga Zoo (much better than going to Fertherdale unless on a tour). Then walk (or fee 555 bus) back via George/Pitt st to Westfield shops area

Also read the FAQ on the top right of this page

If you only do the BM train trip ($17.20 return and there is off peak discount tickets) and ferry to Manly ($14.80) and walk/free 555 bus then hardly worth buying a MyMulti week ticket at $63 (day one costs $23 so could be worth it on day you go to Manly - ferry + bus)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,792 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Initial plan ok?

<<But I read that it might be inconvenient to others if I board the train..so I had to ask about the airport transfer..>>

Don't worry about this, the train is very convenient and straightforward to get from the airport to the city. It is slightly expensive compared to other train trips around Sydney, but will be about the same price, and much more reliable than any airport shuttle option. If you are travelling with two or more people, than a taxi is also good value and also much recommended over "airport transfers."

It is true that the Airport train is along a regular suburban line and you will be sharing it with daily commuters, but they are used to airport travellers and you will not inconvenience them. If you are arriving during the peak hour period in the morning, it is suggested to walk to the ends of the platform to get a less crowded carriage, but that's mainly for your benefit.

As you are from Singapore I would expect you're used to crowded trains and you may find ours quite large and spacious in comparison.

Good luck,

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,325 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Initial plan ok?

Its a Sunday so provided it is reasonably early, say before10 no problem.

Sundays are a pain on family Funday as the ends of the carriages are full of prams etc. after about 10.

while Jeremy said commuters are used to it… a lot are none too happy and will be quite rude to you (especially if you block the exits/stairways/aisles with your luggage as many pax seem to do because there is no where to store it). Given that Jeremy doesn't ride that train with any frequency as a commuter ………

This is usually only the case from about 7.45 and up until just before 9am .on weekdays.

Board towards the front of the train as that is the exit you want at central and it also has the lifts down to street level

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,792 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Initial plan ok?

I actually do ride that train several times a week as my "day job" involves a site near Mascot station. (I regularly assist people who get off at Mascot looking for the airport - not quite sure how that happens.) But that is a reverse commute as I come from the city. When taking the train at the airport, with bags, on weekdays I've never witnessed visitors being abused by commuters - that's really too bad if that actually happens. :/

However I agree that the trains should provide luggage storage. And there is a large sign advising visitors to move to the ends of the platform during peak periods - maybe Airportlink should do more to encourage that?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,325 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Initial plan ok?

It does…. the worst are the 2 that hit the airport just after 8 , there is one lady I have seen have several run ins over a period of time. Usually after being hit in the face by backpacks.

More often than not the argument arises because the airport px put their bags on the wall near the door...

and the pax from the airport can be equally as awful….

usually to the tune of how much they have paid so they have the right….. grumpy after a long flight and too many bags for the train (almost all have had 2 suitcases + carry on each in this instance)

Afternoons are usually OK heading out, perhaps less panic from the airport pax or they are the first to be getting off

re getting off at Mascot… it happens because lots of peeps read they can avoid the gate fee…. as you know there are frequent announcements that Mascot is NOT the airport

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Initial plan ok?

Hi dytokyo, Jermey512, GurusW, thank you for your replies too!

For Darling Harbour attractions, I just bought a promotional 5-attraction pass at AUD$63, I think its definitely a better deal than iVenture.

I'm thinking of getting a BM explorer train ticket for my time on BM. I'm reading up on Opal card. Should i just get that instead since it seems so much easier than singe trip tickets and multipasses??