We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reasonable Airfare - SYD to SIN

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
457 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Reasonable Airfare - SYD to SIN

It is our first time in Australia and I am wondering if anyone can give me an idea of a good price for a one way flight between SYD and SIN? We are looking at Tuesday, February 3 as the flight date. Currently I see Etihad has one way airfare for $464 CAD and was wondering if that is a good price or not. We are mainly looking at the legacy carriers but will consider the LCC's. Thank you.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,790 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reasonable Airfare - SYD to SIN

<<Currently I see Etihad has one way airfare for $464 CAD >>

That is an excellent fare, but what is the total travel time? It would be likely via Abu Dhabi - check a globe or world map if you don't realize how far away that is - it's in the United Arab Emirates in the Middle East - nowhere near the direct route between Singapore and Sydney! You'd be looking at 24h+ travel time for a flight that direct is about 7-8 hours.

There are several airlines offering direct flights between Singapore and Sydney, such as Singapore Airlines, Qantas, and Scoot (Singapore's low cost brand) - I would certainly choose one of those even if it costs a few hundred more. Singapore Airlines has the dominant share of this market and they have frequent A380 service. Scoot has flights from AUD 299 (excluding baggage) so that would seem to be the best value option. However they have configured their Boeing 777-200ERs with 10-across seating in economy which will make it quite cramped for the 7-8 hour flight. There are even more options if you consider reasonable one-stop flights (Malayasia, Air Asia/Air Asia X, Jetstar, etc.).

Note that this is the Australia forum so it would make sense to post any dollar figures in AUD, it will make it easier on the readership here.

Good luck.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8,634 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reasonable Airfare - SYD to SIN

Your quoted flight is likely via Brisbane hence low price (Etihad doesn't do Syd-Sing direct). But the price looks very good (too good ?????). Direct flights on non LCC start around A$590 - you do the CAD conversion).

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,790 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reasonable Airfare - SYD to SIN

Ah, I forgot that Etihad had the Singapore flights via BNE, thanks dytokyo.

I had a friend who just took Emirates (via Dubai) to go from Sydney to Sri Lanka, as it was like $100 cheaper than a sane schedule via Singapore, so I know there are people who will do crazy things like this...

Edited: 02 June 2014, 00:34
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
366 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reasonable Airfare - SYD to SIN

Jetstar has flights Sydney-Darwin-Singapore for A$300

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
457 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reasonable Airfare - SYD to SIN

Thank you all for your help.

6. Re: Reasonable Airfare - SYD to SIN

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 June 2015, 06:15