We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sydney using a non-EMV chip credit cards

Baja
5 posts
Save Topic
Sydney using a non-EMV chip credit cards

Going to Australia and New Zealand in July 2014. Planning on taking an American Express Card that doesn't seem to have the chip. Will I have trouble using it???

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,716 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sydney using a non-EMV chip credit cards

No the card will work fine

but expect to be charged an extra 2% in some places.

Others just don't take AE but they usually have a sign up.

Baja
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sydney using a non-EMV chip credit cards

Thank you! Will not be relying on it too much, more of a safety net.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,803 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sydney using a non-EMV chip credit cards

Although I'm not sure if this applies to American Express - it does for Visa and MC. Be sure you know the PIN as it might be useful for emergency cash advances (at very high interest rates) .

"Chip and Pin" are often used together but these are actually different technologies/concepts. There are uses for PINs on credit cards even without the chip.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
974 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sydney using a non-EMV chip credit cards

Jeremy, Amex cards without a chip can't be used with a PIN. Amex Australia is about to push out replacements of all non-chip cards in time for the August change-over to PIN-only transactions.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sydney using a non-EMV chip credit cards

The changeover only applies to a Australian issued cards. Tourists with O/S cards without a PIN will still be able to sign.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,803 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sydney using a non-EMV chip credit cards

Aussie Cygent, thanks, I wasn't sure about AMEX, I thought for sure I had a PIN for it even before getting a chipped card. But PINs are absolutely useable for magnetic-only Mastercards and Visas, particularly useful at ATMs - that's what I wanted to clarify for other readers of this thread. Though as emel notes, not required for purchases even after domestic cards switch over.

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,474 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sydney using a non-EMV chip credit cards

Yep, Jeremy. I've extensively used my amex card without a chip, with a PIN.

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,584 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sydney using a non-EMV chip credit cards

You will need a PIN when using it at train station ticket machines; otherwise all good.

Aussie_cygnet, that's incorrect info - my non-chip AMEX has a pin :)

9. Re: Sydney using a non-EMV chip credit cards

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 June 2015, 05:17