We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Message for teacherk6 re Dubai hostel

homeandaway
Level Contributor
640 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Message for teacherk6 re Dubai hostel

Hi,

Sorry to post this on the Sydney forum but you're not visiting the Dubai forum anymore it seems so hoping you pop in here instead as I'd love some more info on the hostel in Dubai!

Mom and 3 teens so would like to know about security at the property for ourselves and our kit really.

Been to the Emirates before so know the general do's and dont's.

andi & co x

homeandaway
Level Contributor
640 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Message for teacherk6 re Dubai hostel

bump!

homeandaway
Level Contributor
640 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Message for teacherk6 re Dubai hostel

Oh well, I take it teach isn't coming back -lol

Don't you just hate it when you've got a Q that no-one else seems to be able to answer and they don't come back.

Oh well - I'll bump this every now and then and home someone answers :0)

andi x

Sydney
Level Contributor
892 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Message for teacherk6 re Dubai hostel

Andii,

what are the chances ay????

I have never visited the Sydney Forum in my life.?here i am in the seoul hotel killing time and i thought to myself "lets see if there even is a sydney forum" as i would be able to help people out who had questions for sydney.

well 7th message down "Message for teacher k6" haaaaaaaa

i have been trying to log in for half an hr to reply, but couldnt... anyway,

what specific questions about dubai did you have????

regarding security,?dubai is very safe,?i NEVER needed to look over my shoulder or hide my cheapo digital camera thinking i would get mugged.

i would have walked a few hours each day and got myself lost in the little alley ways and back streets and never had a worry.

anything else you need to know just ask away :)

Jason :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,277 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Message for teacherk6 re Dubai hostel

Glad you made it over here Jason!

homeandaway
Level Contributor
640 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Message for teacherk6 re Dubai hostel

Hi Jason,

Well how about that-lol glad to finally meet you so to speak :0)

Hope you're enjoying your trip!

I'm really just interested in the security provisions at the hostel, do the rooms have locks? is there anywhere secure to leave your kit during the day? Do they have a 24hour open door policy where anyone can wander in and out or do you have to buzz to get in after midnight or something? that sort of thing.

I've been to Dubai (brief stop on the way back from Fujairah) so I'm ok with safety do's & dont's in Dubai itself.

As I'm travelling on my own with 3 teens - 2 girls, 1 boy, I need to keep it as inexpensive as possible this time and the hostel sounds great.

But, I've stayed in hostels in other countries which don't have locks the rooms etc (I'd prefer a family room to a dorm with the kids).

This is ok but not ideal, I'm getting a bit old for sleeping on the floor up against the door which I've done lots before but like a bit more comfort these days.

If I was travelling solo I could afford to be a bit more experimental with the accomodation but with the kids in tow I have to consider their safety, and at night in the hostel is the *only* time I've really got any concerns about.

Well, hope that lot makes some sence -lol

Thank you very much for replying - especially while you're away - you can leave replying unil you get home if you like I know it can get costly going online while away. I'll just look out for a post on this or the Dubai forum.

Safe travels

Andi & Co x

Sydney
Level Contributor
892 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Message for teacherk6 re Dubai hostel

"I'm really just interested in the security provisions at the hostel, do the rooms have locks? is there anywhere secure to leave your kit during the day?"

Ok i was in a shared dorm room with 6 beds. the dorm room seemed brand new (the hostel has a new and old building, i was charged the old building price but was in the new building) by accident i assume??? the room had 2 double doored wardrobes. the wardrobes had a steel locking mechanism that allowed one to use their own padlock and secure the door shut.

the wardrobe was about 4foot wide by 6 foot high and one side was able to swallow my 90L pack as well as my carry on and other random junk.

often people didnt bother using them, however if there is a full house in theory 2 people will miss out if they all wanted to be used.

"Do they have a 24hour open door policy where anyone can wander in and out or do you have to buzz to get in after midnight or something?"

The reception is manned 24hrs as far as im aware and the front doors to the reception is always unlocked. to get to any of the bedrooms you need to go through reception area. the doors to dorms are kept locked and the key is generally picked up and dropped off from reception. i often forgot to lock my wardrobe and nothing was ever stolen.

"As I'm travelling on my own with 3 teens - 2 girls, 1 boy, I need to keep it as inexpensive as possible this time and the hostel sounds great."

They will have an issue with mixed sexes in a dorm room however. you may have the option of booking the room of 6 and paying for 2 empty beds, or splitting up into girls and boys rooms. (or perhaps 2 twin rooms)

When booking its best to call as they are lazy to reply to emails, unless you have time to send emails that may not be replied to as soon as you would like.

Hope that helps :)

Jason

Sydney
Level Contributor
892 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Message for teacherk6 re Dubai hostel

One more thing i failed to mention,

there are sort of safty deposit boxes behind reception that you can hire a key for. they are too small for a laptop however. they would be good for documents, money or small valuables etc.

:)

homeandaway
Level Contributor
640 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Message for teacherk6 re Dubai hostel

Hi Jason,

Thanks so much for taking the time out, much appreciated!

great news concerning the security within the hostel - just gotta organise when we can all go now.

We were meant to be in Fujairah next week but I just got single and had a minor financial hiccup I wasn't expecting thrown to my plans so had to re-work our things a bit well a lot actually but hey what the h*ck.

Would be such a waste if the kids didn't get to experience this just because I'm a bit strapped-lol The hostel solves most of my problems.

I'll surely get back to you if I think of anything else.

regards

Andi & Co x

9. Re: Message for teacherk6 re Dubai hostel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2009, 22:20