We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ibis or Novotel Darling Harbour

Bendigo
Level Contributor
103 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Ibis or Novotel Darling Harbour

I am looking for affordable accommodation for my daughter and I in Sydney. We have been recommended Darling Harbour. Novotel or Ibis are options. Any suggestions gratefully received. We want to sightsee, catch the water taxi, shop and dine. Like a quiet room and harbour view would be nice if affordable.

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Geelong, Great Ocean Road
Level Contributor
7,087 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ibis or Novotel Darling Harbour

Darling Harbour is a great location and it probably depends on your budget for accommodation.

There is plenty to do and see either by using Sydney's ferries and other public transport or by walking.

The Sydney experts will undoubtedly offer suggestions for accommodation around Darling Harbour or Sydney's CBD.

Good luck with this.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
26,136 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ibis or Novotel Darling Harbour

Hello,

To add to the great question by Famrick about your budget, the dates of your travel will also impact the available rates.

Just so there's no misunderstandings, Darling Harbour is not the same as Sydney Harbour, so view from 'Darling Harbour' hotels is usually that of Cockle Bay. Alternatives are hotels by King Street Wharf, which predominately has views of Jones Bay.

Also, if 'affordability' and budget is something to be aware of, then perhaps you may want to skip the water taxi experience. You have numerous transport options, it really isn't anything special, and really really expensive.

Bendigo
Level Contributor
103 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ibis or Novotel Darling Harbour

Budget is $150 - $200 per night. Not fixed on an area. Last minute trip and I don't know Sydney so just learning. My friend loved Darling Harbour and said the water taxi was great. I have since read reviews saying public transport isn't good in Darling Harbour. We are going to Lyric Theatre at night so would like to be close by if possible.

Bendigo
Level Contributor
103 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ibis or Novotel Darling Harbour

Going July 7-12

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,136 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ibis or Novotel Darling Harbour

Over your dates, at that budget, you've got a whole bunch of choices as it's midwinter. Couple of ideas and thoughts;

- If being close to Lyric Theatre is your priority, then Darling Harbour (either of the hotels you've mentioned) is ideal. Don't be put off by those saying transport is difficult. You have access to the CBD by bus, lightrail, ferry and it's a ten minute walk across Pyrmont Bridge.

- The two hotels you've mentioned are slightly overrated and expensive in comparison to others. The rooms are tiny BUT, it's convenient to attractions and largest selection of eateries nearby.

- Alternately, within your budget, you can afford The Grace, 2 Bond St, and a heap of good 4 Star hotels in great locations in the CBD.

Bendigo
Level Contributor
103 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ibis or Novotel Darling Harbour

Thankyou so much I will check them out.

qld australia
Level Contributor
272 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ibis or Novotel Darling Harbour

I have stayed in both hotels in darling harbour, I remember one was a lot cheaper than the other, but they were both fine, make sure you get a room overlooking darling harbour. as for transport, we caught ferries everywhere, it was great, from a tourists point of view I love darling harbour, everything is there on your doorstep..

New Zealand
Level Contributor
2,140 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ibis or Novotel Darling Harbour

Have a look at www.wotif.com.au - they have the Holiday Inn at The Rocks twin room for $155 a night during your dates. Cab fare from The Lyric to The Rocks at night would be approx. $20. From The Rocks you can take train or bus or ferry from Circular Quay. Nice stroll up to Pitt Street Mall or free bus (555) up George St to Chinatown. Ferry or walk (approx. 15mins) from The Rocks to King Str Wharf (opposite side to Darling Harbour). Lots of cafes around The Rocks.

With your budget, you may well get 5star at bargain discount price. Other websites to try :

www.lastminute.com.au

www.hotels.com

Melboune
Level Contributor
2,197 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ibis or Novotel Darling Harbour

In case it's relevant, Ibis and Novotel are both brands in the Accor group, with Novotel being one category above Ibis (hence slightly bigger rooms etc).

Edited: 30 June 2014, 08:21
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,136 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ibis or Novotel Darling Harbour

It's indeed relevant and very much applicable in this case at Darling Harbour, and the properties are side by side - and they even share front office management.

But Accor are in a very muddled situation right now, especially after the Mirvac properties takeover. If one were to go by brand hierarchy alone, it would be very confusing exercise.