We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to spend 7 days before cruise departure?

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Where to spend 7 days before cruise departure?

My wife and I will be departing for a Transpacific cruise in late March from Sydney. What can we realistically see in 7 days? One of our cruise stops is Melbourne, so we don't feel a need to spend more time there. We are flying in from the USA so we are open to visit anywhere prior to Sydney.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
12,614 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to spend 7 days before cruise departure?

You could go to a lot of places in Australia in 7 days. Do these 7 days include time spent in Sydney or in addition to your Sydney visit? What are your interests? This information would help us make some recommendations. But, here's some info anyway:

It's not the best time of year to visit the Great Barrier Reef region (Cairns/Port Douglas), but you still might want to go there since it's a World Heritage Area with the reef and the rainforests. The Red Center (Uluru, Kings Canyon and/or Alice Springs) would be a good place to visit then. Canberra (where I used to live) is a great place to visit if you enjoy history, museums and natural beauty. (I can even tell you where to go to see lots of kangaroos in the wild.) You might even want to go to Adelaide and Kangaroo Island. And even though you've got a cruise stop in Melbourne, you might want to see and do more in that region (e.g. the Great Ocean Road, Ballarat & Bendigo, etc.)

Edited: 01 July 2014, 17:16
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
304 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to spend 7 days before cruise departure?

I think 3 Days in Cairns Region and The Great Barrier Reef , Queensland is a good idea and 4 days in Sydney sightseeing. The Sydney Harbour Bridge Pylon Lookout, The Sydney Opera House, The Rocks area of Sydney, Darling Harbour, The Manly Ferry to Manly, Macquarie Street, Circular Quay, Taronga Park Zoo, The Botanical Gardens. Ferry hopping on Sydney Harbour.

Oz
Level Contributor
12,385 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to spend 7 days before cruise departure?

Hi,

Given the time of the year and the fact you are arriving after a long haul flight my advice would be:

Day 1 & 2 Sydney chill and explore

Day 3 Travel to Uluru

Day 4 Explore Uluru/Kata Juta

Day 5 Travel to Sydney

Day 6 Blue Mountains tour

Day 7 Explore and depart on cruise.

Cheers,

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to spend 7 days before cruise departure?

March is still very hot especially in the centre at uluru. Would you like a coach tour? Take you to see some of new south wales, the blue mountains, the hunter valley and the outback. Or perhaps some day tours to, blue mountains etc. How about the train or bus to canberra which has some fine museums and national things such as national library, national gallery, parliment house. Dont miss a cruise on a ferry around sydney harbour perhaps an afternoon tea cruise or dinner ro see the lights of the city...lots to see in sydney itself. But do go and see some of our native animals at the zoo or a sanctuary. Have a great trip ♡

5. Re: Where to spend 7 days before cruise departure?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 July 2015, 05:17