We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip Central to Katoomba and return by train.

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Geelong, Great Ocean Road
Level Contributor
5,542 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip Central to Katoomba and return by train.

Just seeking a bit of input from the Sydney experts.

We have a night in Sydney post cruise on a Saturday in September. One option I am looking at to fill in the day is provided we can clear the ship and drop our bags off at the pub early enough is to catch either the 10:18 or 11:18 train to Katoomba and then get on one of the buses from Katoomba Station and go down to the 3 sisters and Echo Point and return to Central from Katoomba on either the 15:56 train or 16:26 train.

Is this doable or too rushed.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,520 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip Central to Katoomba and return by train.

It's certainly doable, but it's a long time to spend on a train to look at three big rocks.

Even if you get the early train up and the later one back, you'll have just three hours up there.

That being said, it's certainly long enough to get to Echo Point and either do a short walk out to the first of the 3 Sisters or perhaps even walk around to the Skyway East station and take a ride to Scenic world. From there you can either get a bus or a cab back to the station.

If it were me, I'd find something to do in Sydney. There are plenty of options. How well do you know the city? What things have you done already?

If you want to do a train ride out of the city that won't be as long, how about getting the train to Woy Woy and having lunch at Fisherman's wharf. It's only an hour away. On the way back, hop off the train at Hawkesbury station and pop into Brooklyn for a cleansing ale or a coffee and a nice walk.

Geelong...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,542 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip Central to Katoomba and return by train.

I'm pretty familiar with the CBD as we have stayed in the city at a pub close to Central and Darling harbor a few times pre and post cruise.

The Katoomba day trip was in the back of my mind borderline doable which it now appears to be.

We will be able to get the $2.50 seniors day excursion fare so the cost is not a problem.

I will look at other alternatives including the one suggested in the last paragraph of #1.

Thanks for your input on this.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,520 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip Central to Katoomba and return by train.

Gotta love the $2.50 ticket!

If you decide against a trip out of town, a great past time is to buy a $2.50 ticket and ride the ferries for a day - head up the river to Parramatta, over to Watsons Bay, take a ferry up to Woolwich and over to Cockatoo Island, take the ferry over to Taronga park or Cremorne Point and do some of the foreshore walk. And lets not forget Manly. If it's a sunny day it's a fantastic way to spend a day in Sydney and only pay $2.50 for the privilege.

Katoomba
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip Central to Katoomba and return by train.

It is a bit rushed but I don't know I would worry about the 29 stop buses. Taxi is a cheaper way to go and you can sometimes sort out a hourly fee. Aside from Echo Point and the Three Sisters which wouldn't take more than an hour, try to get to Witches Leap which is near the kiosk on the way to Scenic Railway. A three minute walk from top. There is signage. This is part of the 7 Sister Dreaming story and is a much more authentic story than the 3 Sisters. The face at Witches Leap, stunningly carved by water over millennia, is a must. This is a little known local secret. Taxi back to town to the 2012 built Cultural Centre where you can find out more about the mountains, have a coffee and walk back to the train. Very achievable. There are many other ideas but that's a start.

Geelong...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,542 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip Central to Katoomba and return by train.

emel49 we have done much of what you suggested in #3 as well as the bridge climb, Manly ferry and bus to Palm Beach so I was looking for something different to do on this trip.

BTW we spent a week in the BM in 2012 on a road trip staying at Blackheath during the open garden scheme and visited Scenic World and other attractions in the area, but ran out of time to see the "three sisters" and "echo point" and I thought the train ride might be a different way of seeing these attractions.

On our last trip to Sydney in April we had two days post cruise in Sydney and crammed a lot into those two days which included the Palm Beach trip (M is a H&A fan) as well as the Easter show.

I'm mindful to not to do quite as much this time and I do like your suggestion in #1 which I will have a good look at.

That $2.50 seniors excursion fare is amazing value for money and great for visitors to Sydney in our age group, Victoria has nothing like it.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions in this respect..

Geelong...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,542 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip Central to Katoomba and return by train.

emel49 in #1 suggested taking a train from Central to Woy Woy which I now think we will probably do post cruise on Sat 20th Sept.

I've noticed on Google earth there are ferry services available. Are any of these worth doing as a way of getting in some sight seeing for a couple of hours? One route appears to go to Palm beach which creates the possibility of ferry to Palm Beach and then bus to Central.

Also by chance do any of these go to CQ? I'm conscious of the need to try and not make it too big a day.

Any constructive comments and suggestions would be appreciated.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,713 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip Central to Katoomba and return by train.

Pretty sure they don't take the $2.50 pensioner concession ticket as they are a private operator but I am more than happy to be wrong

http://www.palmbeachferries.com.au

Geelong...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,542 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip Central to Katoomba and return by train.

Thanks GurusW your # is appreciated. :-)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,777 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trip Central to Katoomba and return by train.

I have done the following circular trip several times (on adult fares!) and really recommend it:

* Train to Woy Woy.

* Woy Woy ferry - take a 30 min round trip to Empire Bay if you have time. (During summer school holidays there is sometimes a direct trip to Ettalong; check with the operator, Central Coast Ferries. Not covered by PET; senior fare is $6 return.)

* Bus or Taxi to Ettalong Wharf. The bus schedule is a bit confusing & erratic; ask driver if the bus goes to Ettalong Wharf, then ask them to let you know when at Ferrry Rd where the wharf is, as it's down an unremarkable side street. Alternatively, taxi should be about $15. Bus is covered by PET.

* Ettalong/Palm Beach ferry (check timetables: operator is Palm Beach Ferries) . Not on PET, $5.60 for pensioners.

* L90 bus, Palm Beach to Newport Arms hotel, Newport

* L90 bus to city.

(I never do this trip without a stop at the Newport Arms - a beautiful local icon right on the bus route - but obviously it could be skipped!)

* A further alternate route to city is to get off L90 at Warringah mall, change buses to a local bus to Manly from the other stand (many different routes go to Manly from here), and then the Manly Ferry.

Obviously all of these stops/diversions can't be made in OP's timetable but I thought worth highlighting all the options for a multi-modal loop to Woy Woy, Palm Beach and return :)

Geelong...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,542 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trip Central to Katoomba and return by train.

Many thanks Jeremy your input on the forums is always well respected and highly regarded. The information provided in #9 is very useful.

Safe travels :-)