We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sydney and surround with family of 7

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
KL
Level Contributor
171 posts
Save Topic
Sydney and surround with family of 7

We are travelling in a group of 4 adults ( including 2 seniors) and 3 young children, during early December. Thought of north but change plan to do south of sydney, blue mountain and city. Tentative plan:

Day 1, arriving Sydney

Day 2, leave for Kiama, see blowhole, overnight ( whether to stay in kiama/geroa/gerringong/nowra)

Day 3, Leave for Huskinsson for dolphin spotting tour, Lady Denman Museum ,

Drive to Bowral and overnight.[Bowral/mittagong] ( am contemplating whether to do this as it involve change of accomodation which can be a hassle)

Day 4 Drive to blue mountain, stop by glenbrook fir Eureka clearing, overnight at Katoomba or Leura

Day 5 Scenic world. wentworth fall, Echo Point/3 Sisters,

Day 6 Free & easy, overnight same accomodation

Day 7 After breakfast, Drive from Katoomba to Sydney via Bell line; Medlow bath, historic old towns of Richmond and Windsor, Mt Tomah, Featherdale wild life park(optional),

Overnight at sydney [ trying to find budget option. looking at Breakfree on George/Hyde Park Inn/Quest Service Worldsquare, as wish to be near chinatown for the seniors' interest]

Day 8-10 Sydney

Trying to mix the interest and concern for elderly to kids, and nature lover versus culture lover.

(Have posted this in another post but no response hence trying luck by putting in as new question)

Appreciate for comments to guide in refining the plan

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,754 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sydney and surround with family of 7

>>>Overnight at sydney [ trying to find budget option. looking at Breakfree on George/Hyde Park Inn/Quest Service Worldsquare, as wish to be near chinatown for the seniors' interest]<<<

If being close to Chinatown is your absolute priority, then Breakfree on George is closest in proximity. As noisy as it seems at the *front* entrance, it's surprisingly peaceful inside. Their apartments are a little dated, but the rates they offer are usually good value. Their rear entrance steps right into the heart of Chinatown.

Quest World Square is probably the best appointed of the three you've mentioned, quite spacious, with a decent kitchen, but in my opinion oddly positioned. Yes, it's close to Chinatown, but it's also down a lane way from Scruffy Murphy's pub. Then again, it's hardly likely that with seniors and young children, you'll be out and about late at night.

Hyde Park Inn is an often and well recommended property amongst the locals. It's good value, friendly, and great position nearby Hyde Park (as the name suggests), and still only a short 4-5 blocks from Chinatown.

If the rates are suitable, Id also consider Radisson Suites on Liverpool St, which are extremely spacious, and also offer great family value

Edited: 14 July 2014, 21:25
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sydney and surround with family of 7

I am assuming you've been to Sydney before? My advice is limit your accommodation changes and extending your overnight stays.

Day 1 - arrive in Sydney - what time - maybe you may be better off staying near the airport overnight then drive South the following morning.

Day 2, leave for Kiama, see blowhole, overnight ( whether to stay in kiama/geroa/gerringong/nowra) - its a fairly long drive so for convenience with a large group - stay in Huskisson and drop by the blowhole on the way down.

Drive to Bowral and overnight.[Bowral/mittagong] ( am contemplating whether to do this as it involve change of accomodation which can be a hassle) - Yes it is.

I'd probably drop by Bowral shops for lunch but not necessary to stay there on your way to Katoomba - its not a long trip - should take between 1 and 2 hours from Huskisson. I guess it depends on what you wanted to do in Bowral. Nice palce but small.

- stop by glenbrook fir Eureka clearing, - not guaranteed to see Kangaroos. Early morning and dusk are the best times.

Edited: 15 July 2014, 00:20
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sydney and surround with family of 7

Accommodation

Night 1 - Sydney

Day 2 - Drive to Huskisson, enroute Kiama blowhole.

Nights 2 - 3 - Huskisson

Day 3 - Dolphin cruise and surrounding area.

Day 4 Drive to Blue Mountains via Bowral/Southern Highlands

Nights 4,5 and 6 - Blue Mountains

Days 5 and 6 - Katoomba attractions

Day 7 - Drive to Sydney

Nights 7, 8 and 9 - Sydney city

Days 8 and 9 - Sydney Attractions

Edited: 15 July 2014, 00:27
KL
Level Contributor
171 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sydney and surround with family of 7

Thank you KVE 1005 and Xiantraveller.

Mom in law and I have been to Sydney. We will be arriving around 11am at airport on first day. and will be leaving after dinner to catch 10pm flight. So, there are about 4 days and 4 nights at Sydney.

KL
Level Contributor
171 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sydney and surround with family of 7

I manage to get a good deal in Radisson Hotel ( thanks to KVE 1005 for highlighting it) but the suitable rooms are only available during my early visit. This prompt me to plan by changing the sequence of the places to visit for a round trip from Sydney (4 or 5 nights)--Kiama---2 nights at Huskisson---bowral---Katoomba ( 3 or 2 nights). Am thinking to put 4 nights ( 3 and half days) in Sydney so that its 3 nights in Katoomba before driving to airport, via Bell line the next day. I think we will only reach Katoomba around 4pm after enroute Bowral. Then next day, Scenic world and rides, and Warradah Aboriginal center. Not planning to go Jenolan caves. Should we? Will 3 nights ( 2 full days) in blue mountain be too long?

KL
Level Contributor
171 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Sydney and surround with family of 7

Which is long, 5 nights in Sydney city alone, or 3 nights in blue mountain ( without visiting Jenolan caves)

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,754 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sydney and surround with family of 7

Hello,

So are you asking which would be better -

5 nights in Sydney or 3 nights Blue Mountains without Jenolan Caves? You can't do both?

Just going by your circumstance with young children and elderly in your family, I would suggest Sydney for 5 nights - if that's what you're asking.

Edited: 19 July 2014, 14:29
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,754 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sydney and surround with family of 7

Sorry, I just picked up on the word 'alone'. Could you explain the context of the question? Now I'm reading it as 'which would be worse'

Edited: 19 July 2014, 14:32
KL
Level Contributor
171 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Sydney and surround with family of 7

Sorry, I should revise the question to " Will 5 nights in Sydney city only too long, or 3 nights in Blue mountain only too long".

My parents in law are unlikely be interested in Jenolan caves, so not planning to fit it into itinery during stay at Katoomba

By the way, can I ask this here: There are stovetop in studio room of Radisson suites, but I read no cooking utensils are provided. I wonder if anyone experience in cooking in the room, like fry egg or fry rice? Tx! (Have emailed the hotel 3-4 days ago, but surprisingly no reply from them, quite unusual in hotel service line)

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,754 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sydney and surround with family of 7

I'd say the response would be similar to my post #7, that 5 nights in Sydney wouldn't be too much an issue, whereas 3 nights may well be too long in the Blue Mountains - especially for your young and elderly.

As for the cooking utensils, I cannot answer the question, but cooking shouldn't be an issue if a stove is provided.