We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family friendly pre-dinner drinks?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
76 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Family friendly pre-dinner drinks?

Hi

We are coming to Sydney from Brisbane next weekend on a family trip to celebrate our daughters 26 th birthday . Our 14 year old son will be with us. We plan to go for pre-dinner birthday cocktails but need advice on where our son would be welcome around rocks area? Thinking a hotel bar might be more family friendly ?Bar blu at shangr- la ? ( we are staying ay quay west)

Thanks in advance

Jane

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family friendly pre-dinner drinks?

In NSW minors are not permitted into the 'bar area' of a licensed premises.

So, they can (if accompanied by a parent or responsible adult) be in a licensed restaurant, at a function or in an 'unrestricted area' of a club etc. But they can't go into a bar where the main activity is serving of drinks. Around the Rocks pubs, for example, you could go into the dining area, have a meal and a few drinks and take your 14 year old with you, but you couldn't stand around the bar with him,even if he is drinking soft drinks.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
76 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family friendly pre-dinner drinks?

Ah so this is different to qld where children could come with us to a hotel bar for example?

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
27,254 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family friendly pre-dinner drinks?

Great thread here: tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g255060-i122-k4…

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9,085 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family friendly pre-dinner drinks?

Blu Bar website states under 18s not allowed

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
13,829 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family friendly pre-dinner drinks?

I was thinking Opera Bar but maybe not good in November?

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,978 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family friendly pre-dinner drinks?

Janeymcp ... there are very strict conditions in relation to underage hotel patrons in Queensland ... not that much different to NSW actually.

…qld.gov.au/legalinformation/…Alcohol.aspx

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
76 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family friendly pre-dinner drinks?

Thanks for the replies - I think I am creating confusion- I don't mean take him to a pub or tavern ! I just meant something like a hotel lobby bar. We stayed at Westin in Sydney previously and there was no problem with him having a coke in the lobby bar while we had a glass of wine before dinner .

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,304 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family friendly pre-dinner drinks?

The bar in the bottom of FS is OK

Blu at Shang is no go (but they did seat us around a corner when GD was 16 so maayyyyybe?) but the walk is pain

he can go into bars like Ananas ( but its not my cuppa.. too trendy)

The bar in Park Hyatt is nice with a view ( but $$) Intercontinental is OK as well

he can also access the "garden areas and ladies salons" of The Australian as an example. As long as he isn't in the room of pub bar.

Edited: 16 July 2014, 09:54
Level Contributor
5 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Family friendly pre-dinner drinks?

If the weather is mild the Opera Bar, on the concourse to the Opera House, is a spectacular spot to have a drink and soak up the harbour views. But the forecast looks like it may be a bit wet and windy, so somewhere inside is probably the go.

Sticking to the 'harbour view' theme, the bar at the Park Hyatt is lovely. Or Cafe Sydney in Customs House might be nice.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
76 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Family friendly pre-dinner drinks?

Thanks so much for the suggestions! These are exactly what I was looking for!