We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8 hour layover and subsequent two day stay

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Jose, California
7 posts
Save Topic
8 hour layover and subsequent two day stay

We have an eight hour layover on our way to New Zealand outbound and a two day stay planned on the way home. Can anyone suggest what to do on the layover? We would like a nice lunch, budget not a problem, nice walk, beach. The way home, good hotel with views, restaurants, excursions (hikes), historic areas. Any input would be appreciated.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,733 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 8 hour layover and subsequent two day stay

Hello

Provided your inbound flight is on time, 8hrs is plenty for you to come into the city by train, enjoy a leisurely lunch and a walk around Circular Quay and The Rocks. However, the beach would be stretching it a little, and I personally suggest you leave that until your return. There is a train directly from the international terminal, and you're looking at about 15mins travel time. Take the train to Circular Quay (harbour).

For nearby lunch locations of good quality, my suggestions would be Cafe Sydney, MCA Cafe, or Opera Kitchen (weather permitting). There are many more finer dining experiences, but they would require reservations - something I would not recommend coming off a flight with no guarantees of on time arrival.

For hotels with views, there are numerous. It depends entirely in your budget, and dates of travel. Shangri-La, InterContinental, Pullman Quay Grand, Four Seasons, are all very good hotels, and if budget is not a problem, then Park Hyatt should meet your needs.

Edited: 22 July 2014, 19:02
Sydney, Australia
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 8 hour layover and subsequent two day stay

For the 8 hour layover option, I would suggest catching a taxi from airport to Bondi Beach (30-45 mins), getting a coffee/breakfast there and then doing the Bondi to Coogee coastal walk which depending on stops and how quickly you go will take 1-1.5 hours. Lunch at Coogee then can enjoy that area before returning to the airport. You will stay close to the airport and won't be too impacted by traffic

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,041 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 8 hour layover and subsequent two day stay

We are assuming that your fight is all on one ticket, your luggage will be checked through to NZ and you will be in possession of an onward boarding pass. If not, then you can cut two hours off your layover time because you will need to check in for your NZ flight.

For hotels, KVE, has, as always, given some excellent suggestions for the upper end of the hotel market.

For suggestions on things to do, why not start with a look at the FAQs on the right hand side of the page.

Giving us some idea of the time of year you will be here and your general interests would make any suggestions more relevant.

We took some visitors to Cockatoo Island on Saturday and it was awful - it was howling a gale and raining - not much fun! We followed it up with a visit to the MCA only to discover they weren't really into all that 'arty stuff'. So those things are important.

San Jose, California
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 8 hour layover and subsequent two day stay

Thank you both for the responses. We are not booked through to NZ but we will have carry on only. I assume we will clear customs/immigration and then check our luggage with the forwarding airline, or a locker in the terminal.

We are traveling Feb 8th Sunday, (arriving in Sydney 9AM) through Feb 20th. Back in Sydney for the 18th, 19th and 1/2 day 20th.

I guess the weather will be a large factor so some information on what we might expect would be helpful. Cockatoo island looked like something we would love, as well as scenic walks. If the weather is not good we would also enjoy the "arty stuff". Hubby not really into museums, but likes galleries, go figure. I guess a nice mix would be good. I love history, and he will oblige me for a short time! He surfs, but I am guessing not the right time of year. Enjoy good restaurants. He enjoys a good brew pub while I am shopping. Later afternoon ferry to Manly looked like a good excursion to see the Harbor and maybe have dinner prior to an night return?

I appreciate all the input. I am reading through this forum and jotting down the suggestions. It always helps to have someone to ask questions.

Thank you.

San Jose, California
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 8 hour layover and subsequent two day stay

ElenaG, that sounds like a great suggestion as we can do a lot of the other things on our stay later in the vacation. Will this be a good call in early Feb? Thanks.

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 8 hour layover and subsequent two day stay

If your husband likes surfing, go to Bondi!

It's summer, it'll be crowded, but fun. There are markets, I think, for you to amble around, on Sunday, and plenty of restaurants.

Sydney, Australia
9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 8 hour layover and subsequent two day stay

Hi! Absolutely - Feb is a great time of the year to be outside near the water. If its a hot or humid day (its summer!) then the ocean breeze will cool you down - just make sure you have a hat and sunscreen with you. The only time I wouldn't do the walk is when its really rainy or very strong winds

8. Re: 8 hour layover and subsequent two day stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2015, 05:16