We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Electronic Travel Authority instead of Transit Visa?

singapore
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Topic
Electronic Travel Authority instead of Transit Visa?

My travel date is less than 10 day from now and I have applied the Transit Visa with my local service provider. To my horror, the officer told me my case is not valid for expedition and e-Visa will take 10 days.

Can I apply for ETA and transit in Australia before flying to other country? Will I possibly be denied at the airport and sent back to my country? I will tell them that I will visit Australia later in the year so ETA will also make sense?

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Electronic Travel Authority instead of Transit Visa?

If you are eligible and meet the criteria, you may not need a transit visa:

https:/…no-visa.htm

singapore
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Electronic Travel Authority instead of Transit Visa?

Thanks for the quick reply. I am not eligible as Scoot reach at 12pm Sydney time and my outbound flight is also 12pm. I need stay there for at least a day.

My scoot flight cannot be changed because it expensive to change it. I was thinking my other resort is to visit Sydney as a tourist (stay more days). But I do not know how many days would consider me for ETA. 24hr? 48hr? 72hr?

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
27,267 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Electronic Travel Authority instead of Transit Visa?

Yes, you can apply for an ETA here: www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/Find-a-visa.aspx

It's usually an instant reply.

And you should be truthful at Immigration. If you are visiting for one day, just say you are visiting for one day.

Edited: 25 July 2014, 05:13
Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Electronic Travel Authority instead of Transit Visa?

There's no minimum time for a stay on an ETA. Many people opt for this rather than the transit visa (even though it's more expensive) as it can be obtained online and is usually issued immediately.

Go to the Government website - you don't need an agent to do this for you.

immi.gov.au/Services/Pages/visitor-visa-onli…

OOPS....sorry luigi.....cross posting!

Edited: 25 July 2014, 05:15
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Electronic Travel Authority instead of Transit Visa?

Transit visa in Singapore actually costs 40 dollars (as vfsglobal charges service fee) as you need to do it at Equity Plaza as it is currently not available online..so it is much better to apply the usual tourist visa online - cheaper, better and more convenient!!

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
27,267 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Electronic Travel Authority instead of Transit Visa?

The OP travelled two months ago.

7. Re: Electronic Travel Authority instead of Transit Visa?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2015, 05:15