We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public Holiday

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
121 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Public Holiday

Hey. Thinking of making a last minute trip to Sydney for the weekend. Just a quick getaway before I start a new job. Sat morning arrival Monday afternoon departure. Haven't booked yet but hubby informed me today that he heard there was a bank holiday (?) in NSW on the Monday. I have tried to research it and all I come up with is that its not state wide. Umm okay what does that mean exactly. We are planning on staying near Darling Harbor ish area and doing some shopping around there, Harbourside (race centre for hubby) and Pitt st ish area. Maybe visit the aquarium. Not sure what else yet. Are these places likely to be open on the Monday. we have no official plans so can change things. Also haven't booked flights yet so can book earlier flights if need be.

thoughts?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
16,407 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Public Holiday

Are you talking about this weekend? There's no bank holiday until 4th August.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6,097 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Public Holiday

Which is this coming Monday. It's a bank holiday - won't have any effect on retail shops, restaurants & so on - only financial institutions & related.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
16,407 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Public Holiday

Lol. The year has flown and I'm weeks behind ;-) Yes, it's this Monday.

Usually only banks, insurance companies, that sort of thing. Everything else is business as usual.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
121 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Public Holiday

Okay cool. Wasn't sure if train time tables would be different and places like eateries were going to charge extra too. Thanks peeps

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
121 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Public Holiday

LOL Went to book flights and noticed flights to a slightly warmer destination were only a few bucks more so decided to switch . Thanks anyway for the quick response

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,792 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Public Holiday

This 4th August holiday is a bit of a strange one, in that it only applies to banks and related industries. It's not really a "public holiday" that applies to all businesses, so it doesn't affect pay for workers in cafes/restaurants and other service industries. Hence, there won't be any surcharges or likely any places closed.

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,556 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Public Holiday

NSW is not like SA, thank god.

Our supermarkets are open till midnight every night, and shops are allowed to open whenever they want on Sundays. Many banks even open on bank holidays (CBA has in the past).

You can also get good coffee under $5!

Have fun

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
619 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Public Holiday

Uncalled for response aussieboy90

Jann58

9. Re: Public Holiday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 August 2015, 05:16