We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Blue Mountains Tour?

Perth
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Which Blue Mountains Tour?

Hi guys!

I'm off to Sydney for a work trip this week & want to book a tour for the Blue Mountains, I am unsure which one to go with as there are so many and I have become overwhelmed!! I saw one which I was going to book, but then when I decided to look around I have just found so many and competely unsure. This one I am looking at is bluemountainstoursydney.com.au/tours/blue-mo… which costs $79/day

There are others that are $170 - what is the difference? Am I going to miss out on anything by paying less, or ripped off paying more?

I don't mind joining a big tour - it's a huge price difference so I want to know what the difference is. Does anyone know, or can anyone recommend one over another?

Thanks heaps in advance!! =)

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,019 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Blue Mountains Tour?

Hello

AAT Kings, APT and OzTrails are three of the most popularly suggested by hotel concierges.

The former two operates larger scale tours in full size coaches, the latter offering smaller groups in minibuses. They have their pro's and con's.

Alternately, you could make your own arrangements to the Blue Mountsins, however, sidetracking to Featherdale Wildlife Park is a little more difficult - which is one of the benefits of an organized tour.

Sydney
Level Contributor
120 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Blue Mountains Tour?

It really depends what sort of experience you want, and how much you want included. There are, roughly, two broad groups of Blue Mountains tours. The larger mainstream ones run by AAT Kings, APT etc - large coach, comfortable, well organised, hits the main spots but mass market. Or the smaller, backpacker style ones (Oztrails is one of these) which are usually in 20-25 seater small buses (less comfort) and may include a 1-2 walk on one of the main tracks. This will be a younger crowd and a bit more active but may not include entry to things like Scenic World (check the fine print) which is why the price differences.

Depends on what your style of trip is and what you want included.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Blue Mountains Tour?

What are your reasons for wanting to do a tour? If it's because you want to meet up with other people, that's fine and a tour is a good idea.

But, as KVE suggested, it's really easy to explore the Blue Mountains on your own. It's very well serviced by public transport.

For $49.80 you can buy a Blue Mountains Explorerlink ticket which will get you from the city to Katoomba on the train and all day access to the HOHO bus which takes you to all of the major scenic sights and provides you with some commentary along the way.

For only $23 you can buy a MyMulti day ticket. This will also get you to Katoomba and back on the train and also gives you access to the local public buses. These also visit the major tourist sights like Leura, Echo Point and Scenic World.

There is a lot of information available about the Mountains on this site http://www.bluemts.com.au/info/

Here is a link to the Blue Mountains Explorer http://www.explorerbus.com.au/home.aspx

The Trolley Bus is another HOHO service http://www.explorerbus.com.au/home.aspx

The Blue Mountains Bus company operates public buses to many of the scenic spots. bmbc.com.au/links/…UpperMountains.pdf

Perth
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Blue Mountains Tour?

Great, all this is so informative. Thank you everyone, so much for all your help.

I will take all this on board and explore my options - I am thinking the best way would be to jump on the train and do it myself :)

Luton, UK
Level Contributor
361 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Blue Mountains Tour?

Hi Kelly

We went with Sydney Great Escapes. It wasn't the cheapest but was absolutely superb. Maximum group size would have been 14 - we had 8. The guy who owns it is a retained firefighter in the Mountains and knows the area like the back of his hand.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g255060-…

Perth
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Blue Mountains Tour?

Thank you Stew2205, I am going to jump on the train at Central Station and then do the HOHO explorer and get the pass for the Scenic World as Emel49 suggested :)

Thank you!! :)

Langley, Canada
Level Contributor
1,252 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Blue Mountains Tour?

This info is very helpful to me too as we will be doing a day trip to Blue Mountains in September. Will look into explorerlink pass as we plan to take train from Sydney and hoho to get around once there.

Langley, Canada
Level Contributor
1,252 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which Blue Mountains Tour?

emel

Do you happen to know where we would purchase the explorerlink pass? Would it be at Central Station on the day that we plan to go or does it have to be bought in advance?

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which Blue Mountains Tour?

Buy it at the ticket office at whichever station you start your journey.

Langley, Canada
Level Contributor
1,252 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which Blue Mountains Tour?

Much appreciated.