We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Newcastle
Level Contributor
24 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay

We arrive in Sydney after a 22 hour flight at 10.30pm and depart 3 days later at 9.30am..I'm looking for advice on where to stay. Should I stay near the airport and travel into the city daily or travel out on the night of our arrival to be nearer the sights? Advice on reasonably priced hotels in either area will be much appreciated. Many thanks

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,386 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay

Hello,

Don't stay out at the airport, as it's effective a very ugly industrial area. You are better off heading straight into the city, even if you arrive late.

The most popular areas for visitors are Circular Quay, The Rocks, CBD/Town Hall, and Darling Harbour. The closer you are to Sydney Harbour, the generally more expensive.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,386 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay

In regards to reasonably priced accommodation, that would depend entirely on your nightly budget, and the dates of your stay. If you could provide these details,mew can certainly help with suggestions.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7,778 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay

And have a look at www.wotif.com.au for idea of hotel choice/prices (search location of Sydney CBD).

Newcastle
Level Contributor
24 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay

Thanks everyone.. We will be visiting early February 2015 with a budget of around $200 per night.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,386 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay

AUD$200/night isn't a substantial budget, but by no means low. There's a few really good value rates on offer for early February 2015.

Did you have a preference for a traditional full service hotel, or apartment? Some properties available for your budget include;

* Travelodge Wynyard - starting AUD$159/night, 4 Star hotel, great location, close proximity to everything

* Meriton Serviced Apartments Campbell Street - starting AUD$206/night, 5 Star apartment, nearby Chinatown

* Sofitel Sydney Wentworth - starting AUD$212/night, 5 Star hotel, handy location, walking distance to harbour

* Pullman Sydney Hyde Park - starting AUD$201/night, 5 Star hotel, nearby Hyde Park and shopping hub

Edited: 31 July 2014, 13:36
Newcastle
Level Contributor
24 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay

Thanks KVE1005 I'm liking the look of the Meriton apartments. Please excuse my ignorance of the area but could you tell me if it is close enough to all the attractions eg Opera house, to walk?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,386 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay

Although it is walkable to the Opera House/Circular Quay/The Rocks, it would be a leisurely 30min walk. I would suggest you simply catch a bus along George St, which do come very frequently, including the free 555 bus.

Meriton Campbell is however, very convenient to Chinatown, Paddy's Market, and Darling Harbour - which can all be either walked or by light rail.

Newcastle
Level Contributor
24 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay

Thank you very much for your help it's much appreciated.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,386 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay

Absolute pleasure.

Whilst you're planning, you may wish to read up on some ideas of things to do with the FAQ's on this page, as well as sites such as www.sydney.com

I hope you have a great time in Sydney.

Newcastle
Level Contributor
24 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay

Thank you Meriton serviced apartment booked.