We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip (or two day) from Sydney to Cairns..tour group?

boston, ma
5 posts
Save Topic
Day trip (or two day) from Sydney to Cairns..tour group?

Hi Guys! Looking to find a "packaged" deal for a day trip or two from Sydney to Cairns..great Barrier Reef snorkeling. Any "packaged" deal stuff out there? Like a flight to and from with a boat out to the Reef and a one night hotel stay? I realize its too far to drive in a day and back..no rail either, correct? The cheaper the better so I'm open for ideas! But I'd only have 48 hours to spend there at most.

Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Sydney
New South Wales, Australia
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
Rob's Tour
Sightseeing Tours
Blue Ribbon Day Tours - Blue Mountain Tours
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Bus Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
747 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip (or two day) from Sydney to Cairns..tour group?

Hi! I politely suggest you stay around Sydney at this stage. It is a good 3 hour flight to Cairns oneway about 2,500 kms. It would be like flying from Boston to Orlando! Perhaps post your proposed itinerary so we can provide alternative/realistic suggestions to help you.

Best Regards

Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Sydney
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
747 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip (or two day) from Sydney to Cairns..tour group?

Hi! I politely suggest you stay around Sydney at this stage. It is a good 3 hour flight to Cairns oneway about 2,500 kms. It would be like flying from Boston to Orlando! Perhaps post your proposed itinerary so we can provide alternative/realistic suggestions to help you.

Best Regards

Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Sydney
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
10,684 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip (or two day) from Sydney to Cairns..tour group?

Typical packages are 3 nights in Port Douglas (fly into Cairns). A trip out to snorkle on the GBR takes all day so realistically you need at least 2 nights in Cairns.

Mentioned in this post
Port Douglas
Port Douglas
Queensland, Australia
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip (or two day) from Sydney to Cairns..tour group?

First flight of the day from Sydney doesn't arrive in Cairns until just after 9 am which is too late to get on a boat out to the reef.

Last flight of the day back to Sydney leaves Cairns at 6 pm which is too early to catch after a full day on the reef.

So a two night stay is an absolute minimum if you want a full day out on the reef.

It also seems a shame to go so far and not take the opportunity to see all the other things the Cairns area has to offer.

You may squeeze it in if you go to Lady Elliot Island (further south) instead of Cairns.

Edited: 10 August 2014, 13:31
Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Sydney
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
5. Re: Day trip (or two day) from Sydney to Cairns..tour group?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2015, 06:16